Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Thursday, December 15, 2005

So thankful!

We're so thankful for our family and friends, and for all the prayers being offered on our behalf. We're thankful, also, for the remarkable way doors are opening for me to see the best doctors so quickly.

On Tuesday, December 13, we saw Dr. Boyd, oncologist. He feels that removing the tumor(s) will bring an end to the formation of this fluid which causes so much breathing distress. So he arranged for me to see Dr. Hall, gynecological oncologist, yesterday (Wednesday). We're sure these doctors are sacrificing their personal time to see me on such short notice. We don't yet have specific times scheduled, but Dr. Hall plans for me to go in tomorrow (Friday) for pre-op clinic and to get the fluid under my right lung drained again. Then he hopes to do surgery early Monday. Draining the fluid will again give me 2 or 3 days of wonderful relief, and it's necessary for the surgery as well.

No, the C-T pictures didn't suddenly become clearer. The lower abdomen is still shrouded by fluid filled with cancer cells, and they can't actually "read" the ovaries. But all the doctors agree that whether it's the ovaries or some other nearby object, the surgery would be the same anyway, so they're going to do it. Dr. Hall will begin with a hysterectomy and will then remove any cancer spots he sees elsewhere. (Sorry; I'm sure there's a more medical way to say that.) The surgery will last 2 to 3 hours, and he says I'll be in the hospital at least until Thursday. We're aware of risks, but we trust God and our doctors too. Soon after surgery we'll consider a plan to deal with the cancer cells that have spread widely through my body.

Karin, Gavin and Calli (from Indiana) drove here on Monday, and have been both practically helpful and spiritually encouraging. Lisa (from Washington DC) plans to come today or Friday. Sue (from Michigan), Justin and Jeremy, and maybe her husband Jeff also, will drive down on Friday. And Keith will come sometime on the weekend. I'm so thankful that we'll have the weekend together, with me fairly functional, before surgery. (James and Liz can't come because her baby is due soon. They faithfully send their love.)

I certainly don't intend to burden you with long messages. It took me a couple of days to figure out how to post messages from home to this spot, so there was a little catching up to do.

Thanks to each one who is checking on me, and praying for me. I love you!

1 Comments:

At Fri Dec 16, 10:13:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Joylynn Rasmussen said...

Hello Carol,
You are most certainly not burdening with your blog posts. It's very helpful to be "in the know" as you proceed through all the decisions you have to make. Please give my love to all of your family. If you need anything, just let me know:)
Joylynn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home