Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Thursday, December 07, 2006

An Answer to Prayer

Yesterday we prayed for my cancer buddy, whose PET scan showed trouble in a lymph node but he had to wait two weeks for a biopsy. Last evening we learned that he's getting it done today. Surely this is the work of God! Thank You! Now we need to pray for an accurate diagnosis and treatment--and for healing, whatever it is.

I'm still experiencing fatigue, and for the first time all year my throat is a bit sore. I've been so wonderfully shielded from infection; I trust this will pass quickly too. I think I've learned my lesson: when I feel tired, I come home and rest.

Yesterday I discovered more about Messiah. Charles Jennens, the compiler of Scriptures for the great masterwork, wrote, "I hope [Handel] will lay out his whole genius and skill upon it, that the composition may excel all his former compositions, as the subject excels every other subject. The subject is Messiah." Then he penned the following introduction to the lyrics:

Majora Canamus ("let us sing of greater things"), quoting Virgil
1 TImothy 3:16--"And without controversy, great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifested in the flesh, justified by the Spirit, seen of angels, preached among the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up in glory."
Colossians 2:3--"In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge."

The entire text of Messiah is magnificent and worthy of repeated study. As you know, less than half of it refers to the Story celebrated at Christmas. Parts two and three recount Christ's sacrificial death for our sins and then His resurrection and coming glory. Even though it's "all about Christ," the text does not ignore the huge benefits to us. "If God be for us, who can be against us? Who shall lay anything to the charge of God's elect? It is God who justifieth. Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea, rather, that is risen again, who is at the right hand of God, who makes intercession for us." Of course, there's a "Hallelujah" in there!

Which reminds me to remind us all: if we'd engage our minds when we sing or hear Christmas carols, it would bring worship and calm into our hurried lives and pleasure to the heart of God. It might even bring an occasional tear to the eye, a tear of gratitude and wonder.

Lost in wonder,
Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home