Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Friday, December 01, 2006

Stand by Faith

Last evening I set out Christmas decorations throughout the public areas of our home. Of course, I listened to Christmas CDs as I worked. At one point I chose Michael W. Smith’s “Christmas” album, but immediately realized that last year I’d mixed things up and it wasn’t Michael W. Smith in that case. Instead it was Michael Card’s “The Word.” Well, I like Michael Card too, so I left it on. And heard some words that I really needed to be reminded of. In his song, “Who Can Abide?” the chorus says, “If you do not stand by faith you will not stand at all.” That song refers to the future day of the Lord’s return. But I have always felt that this particular sentence applies to every day of our lives. “If you do not stand by faith, you will not stand at all.” No sense in trying. Only “by faith” does life work. That’s always been true, but now that all sorts of vexing developments cause concern about my cancer’s progress, it seems even more critical to “stand by faith.” So my mixed-up CDs brought me precisely the reminder I needed. Later I sorted out the mix-up, and at this moment I’m listening to Michael W. Smith. I hope you know his lovely song, "Welcome to Our World."

I am grateful for your prayers for me. The doctor confirmed that the painful lesion that erupted on my toe three weeks ago was caused by the Doxil (kemo). I’d like that not to happen again. (That one is healing, but left quite a deep crater.) Also my cancer buddy, the guy with lung cancer, had a scan this morning and he and his sweet wife must wait until next Tuesday to get a report. He’s still terribly fatigued, although the lung clots appear to have cleared up. We’re praying that the scan will be clear, and of course we ask that it will show the tumors smaller or gone.

So now that I’ve brought up the topic of Christmas, I think I’ll go ahead and pass along an email someone sent me. It’s an attempt to quiet the anger some Christians express against the secularists who are intent on de-Christianizing Christmas. It contains some good ideas, and I hope you don’t mind that it’s a bit long. (Well, hey, you can quit reading any time, can’t you?!)

A LETTER FROM JESUS

It has come to my attention that many of you are upset that folks are taking My name out of the season. Maybe you've forgotten that I wasn't actually born during this time of the year anyway. Although I do appreciate being remembered any time, if you have children of your own you probably understand how I feel about this. I don't care what you call the day. If you want to make me happy, just get along and love one another. Now having said that, let Me go on.

If it bothers you that the town in which you live doesn't allow a scene depicting My birth, then you could put a small nativity scene on your own front lawn. If all My followers did that there wouldn't be any need for such a scene on the town square because there would be many of them all around town.

Stop worrying about the fact that people are calling the tree a holiday tree, instead of a Christmas tree. It was I who made all trees. You may think of Me any time you see any tree. Decorate a grape vine if you wish. I actually used that to explain who I am in relation to you. If you have forgotten that one, look up John 15:18.

If you want to give Me a present in remembrance of My birth, here is my wish list. Choose something from it.

1. Instead of writing protest letters objecting to the way My birthday is being celebrated, write letters of love and hope to soldiers away from home. They are terribly afraid and lonely this time of year. I know, they tell Me all the time.

2. Visit someone in a nursing home. You don't have to know them personally. They just need to know that someone cares about them.

3. Instead of writing the president to complain about the wording on the cards his staff sent out this year, why don't you write and tell him that you'll be praying for him and his family this year. Then do it.

4. Instead of giving your children a lot of gifts you can't afford and they don't need, spend time with them. Tell them the story of My birth, and why I came to live with you down here. Hold them in your arms and remind them that I love them.

5. Pick someone who has hurt you in the past and forgive him or her.

6. Did you know that someone in your town will attempt to take his own life this season because he feels so alone and hopeless? Since you don't know who that person is, try giving everyone you meet a warm smile. It could make the difference. Also, you might consider supporting the local Hot-Line: they talk with people like that every day.

7. Instead of nit picking about what the retailer in your town calls the holiday, be patient with the people who work there. Give them a warm smile and a kind word. Even if they aren't allowed to wish you a Merry Christmas that doesn't keep you from wishing them one.

8. If you really want to make a difference, support a missionary, especially one who takes My love and good news to people who don’t know Me. You may already know someone like that.

9. There are people in your town who not only will have no "Christmas" tree, they also will have no presents to give or receive. If you don't know them (and I suspect you don't) buy some food and a few gifts and give them to the Salvation Army or some other charity that believes in Me and they will make the delivery for you.

10. Finally, if you want to make a statement about your belief in and loyalty to Me, then behave like a Christian. Don't do things in secret that you wouldn't do in My presence. Let people know by your actions that you are one of mine.

P.S ~ Don't forget; I am God and can take care of Myself. Just love Me and do what I have told you to do. I'll take care of all the rest. Have a blessed Christmas with all those you love, and remember - I LOVE YOU.

----
I don’t know who wrote it, but it’s a peaceable approach. Peace to you!

Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home