Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Just the black notes

A friend sent me the link to an amazing Youtube movie. I don't think I've ever done this in a blog before, but I'm so sure you'll enjoy this one. It's by a singer named Whitney Phipps. He talks about "negro spirituals," explaining that almost without exception the tunes follow the pentatonic scale, which is easily identified on a keyboard as only the black notes. Some examples are "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot," and "Every Time I Feel the Spirit." He makes the analogy that even in their deep suffering, the black slaves created beautiful and uplifting music using "just the black notes." "Amazing Grace," which was written by a white former slave ship captain after his Christian conversion, is most commonly sung to a tune that uses only the five notes of the pentatonic scale. Whitney sings it here in a way that could make you cry and break your heart. Go to: pjcockrell.wordpress.com/2007/11/22

A very dear friend, who prays for me many times a day, is having hand surgery this morning. Could we pray for the surgeon's full skill to be employed, and that the needed repairs will be totally effective? Thanks. Also for his peace of mind.

Chuck's cheek is looking better. The pathology report isn't back yet; whatever the diagnosis, we pray it's all cleaned out.

I'm thankful to feel so well.

Love,
Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home