Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Restoration

First, I'll just say that I'm feeling really well today. And yesterday I worked a full day. Wouldn't it be wonderful if this gentle-on-me chemo would prove to be effective in squashing the cancer for a long period of time? Oh, please, God!

Now I have a beautiful story for you. Our mission has an intrepid team of workers on a most difficult assignment in East Africa. Not only are the desert climate and living conditions daunting, but the people they're trying to reach are hostile and non-responsive. So it's not surprising that last month, when the women gathered at the home of their team leader, the conversation turned to their difficult situations. The leader, noting the deteriorating mood, wanted to cheer these wonderful women who work so hard and sacrifice so much to be living where they are. So she bravely announced that she was heating water (purchased off the backs of donkeys and toted by hand to barrel and then inside to stove) and they should all prepare for a pedicure. Unanimous protest! Not my feet! They're too ugly to show, destroyed by the sand and sandals. I couldn't possibly let you all see my feet. Undeterred, the hostess brought in tubs of warm water, piled cushions around the tubs (chairs for those who preferred them), and brought out trays loaded with scrub brushes, polishes, etc. Finally, the women put their feet in the water which had been sweetened with fragrance. No words! Only "oohs" and "ahs" of weary workers beginning to unwind. A participant said, "It was like magic ... soon there were giggles and laughter and stories floating around that were uplifting and fun. Everyone was smiling, and one woman began scrubbing the foot of another who had complained the most that her feet were the worst!" I say ten big cheers for such a wise and loving team leader. Yes, they still need to cope with difficult situations, and even discuss them at times, but for that afternoon, restoration was needed and provided.

This story reminds me of Lisa's last act as we were leaving her home on Sunday. She had noticed my chemo-ravaged feet (swollen ankles, dry and cracked heels and toes), and she tucked a packet of Johnson's Foot Soap in my purse. "When you get home, soak your feet in warm water with this powder, Mom," she said. I did, and it helped. I wish I could be more like her!

Our friend Fran, whose breast cancer appears to have been far more invasive than it first appeared to be after surgery, is facing difficult decisions about further treatment. The medical consensus seems to favor complete mastectomy, but there are perplexing questions outstanding. I think wisdom is the great need here. We're very grateful for your prayers.

Love,
Carol

1 Comments:

At Thu Nov 08, 08:12:00 PM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how like Jesus, dear one, to wash the feet of one's flock...... What an example for all of us. I wish I were with you. I would love to wash your feet and anoint them with oil. For now, please consider this done "in the Spirit!"
Love, robin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home