Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Sunday, December 02, 2007

Anticipation and Joy

Greens, lights, angels! Both indoors and out, we are visibly looking forward to Christmas. In my heart, I am too. Today is the first Sunday of Advent. Churches used to encourage fasting and penitence during the first weeks of Advent, because it was our sin that made it necessary for Jesus to enter human history as our Savior. Liturgically (and popularly), fasting and penitence are not much practiced these days. Maybe that's because Christians understand the instant forgiveness that follows confession of sin. Why save it up for a season? (I hope it's not because we have lowered our standards and think we're no worse than anyone else, so why repent? Not true!)

In any case, Advent is surely a time of anticipation and joy. But let it not be only for the pleasures of family, friends, gifts, and song. Let it be for the coming of the saving, healing Christ into the deepest and neediest places of our souls and our world.

I'm later than usual this morning. I lingered in bed hoping Chuck could catch some sleep, after several wide-awake hours during the night. Please pray he'll sleep better. (I almost always sleep soundly.)

I heard from a beautiful friend yesterday that her doctor is almost certain she's in the early stage of Alzheimer's disease. My heart cries No No No No No . . .! I pray it's something curable, but whatever it is, I pray for God's grace for her.

Joyfully,
Carol

1 Comments:

At Sun Dec 02, 06:22:00 PM GMT-5, Blogger linda said...

Hey Mrs. Carol,
I know it's been awhile since you've heard from me, but I want you to know you're often in my thoughts and prayers! I'm getting excited about the Christmas season too... I come home for the first time in a couple of weeks. Well, have a great day and enjoy the nice SC weather for me! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home