Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Monday, August 17, 2009

Where is my trust?

The past few days, my reading of the Scriptures in The Daily Message have been in the book of 2 Chronicles. I got a bit behind during the week but caught up on the readings over the weekend between yard work and house work. Reading about the numerous kings and how they reacted in their influential positions reminded me that they were no different in many ways than each one of us as we live lives of varying degrees of leadership in our families, neighborhoods, work site, and churches. The age at which they assumed their responsibilities did not appear to be a big factor. The “real deal” was their obedience to God and that was clear as we see the end of their lives. I have been feeling God speaking directly to me as I have been reading those chapters.

I especially was struck by the life of King Asa in chapters 14-16. We read; “There was peace in the land for ten years, for Asa did what was pleasing and good in the sight of the LORD his God.” Then as trouble arose from outside we read; “Then Asa cried out to the LORD his God, ‘O LORD, no one but you can help the powerless against the mighty! Help us, O LORD our God, for we trust in you alone.”

The words of Azariah impacted Asa when he reminded him “The LORD will stay with you as long as you stay with him! Whenever you seek him, you will find him. But if you abandon him, he will abandon you.” (15:2) And as he obeyed the Lord we read “So there was no more war until the thirty-fifth year of Asa’s reign.” In his 36th year, Asa made some bad decisions, putting his trust in a strong neighboring king rather that in God. Hanani the seer called him on his root decision telling him; “…you missed your chance... The eyes of the LORD search the whole earth in order to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.” Asa become angry throwing Hanani into prison and things rapidly fell apart in his life, dying of a life threatening disease for which he did not seek his Lord’s help even after many years of walking with Him. (16:7-14)

This is a strong reminder of how easy it is to live a God-honoring life and because of his many blessings, allow pride to take control of my thinking and make bad decisions. Decisions made on my understanding or desires and not according to God’s will.

Thank you Lord for your Word and for your Holy Spirit that interprets that Word to speak specifically to me and often my situation/need at the moment!

May each of you have a blessed new week.

Love,

Chuck

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home