Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Blogger was sick today

I tried for more than two hours this (Sunday) morning to put this posting up, and kept getting "Error" messages. I'm sorry. Then we left for church, and from there we went to the mountains, and I'm just now back home. So here's what I tried to post this morning. Since Congo was holding elections today, I wanted to ask for prayer for that country. By now the election is over, but we can still pray that the losing side will accept the result without violence. The Congolese have suffered so much.

Forty-two years ago I was mopping my kitchen floor and listening to public radio when I heard the devastating news that my mother's cousin Dr. Paul Carlson had been shot in the Congo. He had been taken hostage by the Simba rebels, along with several other missionaries and expatriates. It was big news at the time. Yesterday we attended a screening of a new documentary on the story. His widow Lois and their two children spoke beautifully about him and his life and death. Then we heard the amazing account of their return to Congo at the 40th anniversary of his death, and the reconciliation with Mr. Gbenye, the rebel leader who had ordered Paul's death. They spoke words of forgiveness to him, and he said he feels forgiven--even by God. The madness of 40 years ago is being repeated and enlarged in many parts of our world today, as we well know. But Congo has been mostly overlooked and forgotten by the West. Poverty, illness, tribalism, and ruined infrastructure conspire to rob the people's hope--and yet they have hope. Amazing! Please do pray today for their election.

It's Sunday. Our lesson is Hebrews 10. Here are some wonderful words: The Lord says, "I will put my laws in their hearts so they will understand them, and I will write them on their minds so they will obey them....I will never again remember their sins and lawless deeds." (verses 16,17) And verses 23,24: "Without wavering, let us hold tightly to the hope we say we have, for God can be trusted to keep his promise. Think of ways to encourage one another to outbursts of love and good deeds." Don't you love the thought of "outbursts of love and good deeds"? I hope we'll all experience those outbursts today.

I did yard work Saturday morning, went to the movie in the afternoon, and despite the extra hour gained by the end of daylight savings time went to bed early. It's amazing how well I feel as long as I sleep a lot. Thanks so much for all your love and prayers.

Blessings,

Carol

1 Comments:

At Mon Oct 30, 01:57:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Hannatu said...

We spent time praying for DRC on Friday. That country is a mess and it could be a leader in Africa. Even though your post was later than you wanted it to be, we must continue in prayer for DRC and your post was a good reminder to do that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home