Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Flipping the Switch

Last evening we did our best to put my rising cancer numbers (now up to 183) into perspective. Then in bed I felt the almost physical sensation of cold fingers of fear grabbing the back of my neck. (Chuck had fallen asleep; he told me this morning I should have awakened him. I could have, but I did something even better.) I lay there a few minutes sort of taking inventory; we've prayed, we've talked it through, I've spoken with all three daughters. What am I missing? Then I remembered my reading in 31 Days of Praise in the morning. That was it! I was remembering to FROG (Fully Rely On God), but I'd neglected to POG (Praise Our God--sorry about that; I just couldn't resist the rhyme). So I spent a few moments worshiping and praising God, not particularly in relation to the cancer but for a whole range of His praise-worthy qualities and actions. The fear fled and so did my sleeplessness. When I woke up this morning, my mind turned at once to praising God, and I sang soundlessly one of our familiar praise songs.

Here's the thought from Part III in 31 Days of Praise that I'd read yesterday morning: "Much as television waves surround us at all times, so God's presence is always with us and in us, though it may not always be evident. Praise can flip the switch that, so to speak, turns on that mighty, glorious presence and tunes us in to His sufficiency. We become filled to overflowing with Him. Our lives become a stage on which He, the leading Actor, reveals Himself in love and power . . . ." I want to remember to flip that switch all day, every day.

Thanks again to the friend who sent me 31 Days. I'm so sorry that my brain was so foggy during those weeks after surgery; I've forgotten who sent it. If it was you, could you remind me? Several friends who have bought the book on my recommendation would also like to thank you.

Chuck just walked in carrying his One-Year Bible and read a relevant verse. Psalm 103:22b: "As for me, I too will praise the Lord."

This quote from Sue Monk Kidd came in a card from Barb yesterday: "To be fully human, fully myself, to accept all that I am, all that You envision, this is my prayer. Walk with me out to the rim of life, Beyond security. Take me to the exquisite edge of courage and release me to become . . ."

Now Chuck is reading Red Sea Rules and he came in to share another gem: "Wash your face every morning in a bath of praise." (Charles Spurgeon) Looks like praise is the operative word for today.

Heading for the exquisite edge,
Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home