Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Friday, December 15, 2006

Fear NOT


This gift came in yesterday's mail from a dear young couple who are on their way to Burkina Faso--he to work in ministries related to HIV and she to work with children at risk. Would you believe F.R.O.G. jam? (Figs, raspberries, oranges, and ginger.) I downsized the image so it wouldn't jam up your computer, and now it doesn't read very well. Wish I could share a taste with you.
At Christmas I like to reread the various accounts in the Gospels of the coming of Christ. It's striking how often God and angels say, "Fear not." I have always taken that as the gentle, comforting murmur as of a mother seeking to soothe a frightened child. "Don't worry, honey, I know it's scary but here, let me hold you tight." Yesterday, Chuck and I read in our devotional book, indeed, a quite different interpretation of "Fear not." The author wrote, "The most common biblical command is 'fear not.' ...fear and faith are at two ends of a spectrum, and when we move towad one, we move away from the other....Fear is illegitimate because 'the Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save'" (Zephaniah 3:17). So I've been thinking. "Fear not" is not a soft invitation to come to God for comfort if I want to. It's a command with terrible implications. If fear is at the oppposite end of faith, my insistence on wallowing in fear is an insult to the mighty-to-save God. I admit that fear strikes without warning, out of nowhere, full-blown and overpowering. I can either choose to remain under its power, or I can choose to turn my back on it and push over to the faith side of the spectrum, where God waits to give his peace and show his power.
My rash is definitely better. I realized yesterday that I've been putting up with quite a lot of esophagus trouble. It feels plugged, and every swallow or burp borders on pain. My oncologist is sending me to a gastro-enterologist to check it out. Our trip north will delay that visit until January 4. There's no point in being afraid, but a little research on the internet motivated me to call the doctor and tell him what was going on. I hope it's only a kemo-effect and will fade over the next couple of weeks. I'd be very grateful for your prayers about this new development.
My cancer buddy heard the worst: the cancer in the lymph node in his neck is not operable. He may get into a drug study. We went to see them yesterday afternoon. We pray for God's peace and wisdom for him and his wife. Thank you so much for praying for him too.
Blessings,
Carol

1 Comments:

At Sun Dec 17, 03:37:00 PM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you received the FROG Jam! Jen and I thought it was just what we should sent you! Praying for you...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home