Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Sunday, April 29, 2007

HOPE

One of the special events of yesterday was a benefit jewelry show. Now, you know I wear little jewelry, and Chuck wears none at all (smile). So what made it special? Our dear friend, whose ministry was the beneficiary of the show. When we first met her, about 10 years ago, she weighed about 450 pounds and could scarcely do anything. Then, with God's help (and Weight Watchers and the YMCA), she took off the weight and even made an appearance on Oprah. She never misses an opportunity to give glory to God. Sensitive to the suffering and isolation of obese people, she formed an organization called HOPE: Helping Overweight People Embrace (embrace themselves, life, others, and God). Right now she's in the process of expanding the ministry into all the YMCAs in this city, and other locations are also eager for her help. Isn't it inspiring to see people turn their personal tragedies into avenues of hope for others?

I'm happy to report that the bluebirds are still laying claim to the bluebird house. Oh, I hope we'll have a family there soon. And yes, I did get tomato plants into the ground yesterday. While we were at the market buying them, we realized we were close to the strawberry fields, so we went and picked some berries. What a treat! Delightful distractions like that interfere with the Saturday task list, but who's to say what's really important? Now we have those juicy sweet temptations to serve to our surprise breakfast guests this morning. (A dear friend from Florida is traveling with her daughter between two funerals, and they stayed in Charlotte last night. A few minutes this morning is our only chance to see them, and we grabbed the opportunity.)

I'm newly aware that I must personally be fully engaged in praying for my own healing; I'm afraid I was coasting on the confidence that others were doing that work. I'm sorry I lose my way so easily. It just seemed easier, I guess, to be praying for other people and ignore my own challenge of the moment. Both...and.... That's the principle!

May your Sunday be blessed.
Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home