Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Friday, May 11, 2007

Cat Island's Most Famous Tourist Site

In the 1930s, a restless priest, wavering between the Anglican and Catholic priesthood, moved to Cat Island and built a one-man hermitage on Mt. Alvernia, the highest point between Florida and West Africa. (It’s only 153 feet in elevation, if I remember correctly.) From down below, it looks like a large institution—so flawless are the proportions. Over the years we walked up to see it several times, past the stations of the cross, into the tiny chapel, pausing at the narrow stone bed, admiring the prayer tower, and stooping to peer into his burial cave. The entire hilltop is a lovely, serene place. I’m sure when we get back home we’ll have a new photo to show of this amazing bit of architecture.

 

Maybe my title overstates the case. I think the ocean and beaches are fabulous too. And the blue holes, mysterious inland waterholes that used to be called “mermaid holes.” Lots of folklore on this island. Some scholars believe it’s the actual site of Columbus’ first landfall. It was, tragically, farmed for fine cotton by wealthy landowners and African slaves for at least a century. As my mom was leaving, it was becoming a hot spot for illegal drug transport.

 

Meanwhile, thanks for sticking with us through this week, and for your love and prayers. I hope to be back online tomorrow.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home