Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Monday, July 23, 2007

Fully Rely On God

Yesterday's Sunday school class focused on the prophet Zechariah. Two verses in chapter 4 encouraged me a great deal. Verse 6 says, "This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel (Tom said to put our own names there [to Carol]): It is not by force nor by strength, but by my Spirit, says the Lord almighty." And verse 10 says, "Do not despise these small beginnings, for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin." I'm afraid that for most of my life, I relied on my own "force and strength," and when all is said and done, it will turn out that very little of value was ever said or done! But now I'm surely not feeling powerful, and yet I have this desire that my life should bless others and bring glory to Christ. I also want to add my weak voice to thousands of others in the fight against modern slavery. So I took courage from yesterday's lesson--not to think I can accomplish anything in my own "force and strength," but to Fully Rely On God and trust him both to lead what I should do and to accomplish his own purposes by his own great ability.


Last evening we heard a masterful organ and oboe concert at Calvary Church, part of the American Guild of Organists summer series. After an amazing hour of virtuoso performances of classics I love, the organist played "Battle Hymn of the Republic" during which images of soldiers and Iraqis and coffins were displayed on the screens. Many of us were weeping. It gave me courage to remind us, again, to pray for our troops and for all who are being deeply hurt by wars, wherever they are.


It was a full and sociable weekend, and I'm warmed and encouraged. Also feeling well.


Bless you all.

Carol


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home