Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Surviving Floods

It's strange to think about floods when we're in the middle of a record-breaking drought here. But all across Asia this year (and in other places as well), floods have been so deep that crops have drowned -- crops that many millions of people were depending on for this year's food. In 1973, a million people starved to death in Bangladesh because floods drowned their rice. Can we even imagine suffering on such a huge scale? Millions of people live their entire lives at a subsistence level, and one bad episode in their environment can totally wipe them out. I hope the world will be more responsive to the need for aid this time. But here's a cool thing I heard on the radio yesterday: researchers are developing a rice strain that can "hold its breath" for up to two weeks while submerged. They add a gene called "sub 1," and the rice plants survive a flood. I hope it proves to be safe, and can soon be used to prevent starvation by flooded crops.

Then I got to thinking about the times we feel under water. Where's our "sub 1"? Of course, I go to Isaiah 43:2: "When you go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown!" Know what? Even if we die, God is with us. And we will not drown, but rather emerge into real life forever. Verse 3 says, "For I am the Lord, your God, your Savior." And verse 5, "Do not be afraid, for I am with you." These are good words with good hope.

So today's chemo won't drown me, even though I may feel under water for some hours.
Thanks for your prayers.

Yesterday I loaded a beautiful movie; it should show up as a black square just below this. If you click on it, you'll see something faith-building. It's the SIM statement of faith enhanced by gorgeous images and music. Maybe you'd like it as a devotional tool. (It doesn't work very well with a slow internet connection. Sorry.)

Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home