Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Thinking about value

Daughter Lisa is coming for the weekend. I'm so excited about seeing her again. She's traveling by train, which arrives here about 2:00 am on Saturday and departs about 2:00 am on Monday--if it's on time, which is rare. Would I groan about being up and dressed and in the train-station part of town at that hour? It all depends upon the why! Surely not when someone so wonderful as Lisa is the why. I was thinking about that early this morning, and into my mind came a quote of Friederick Nietzsche from Philosophy 101: "With the proper why, a man can endure almost any how." I don't mean to make a big deal about a couple of early morning train runs. But you can see where my mind is going. All of life is a series of choices: lying in bed or keeping a job, giving up or continuing to battle cancer, watching mindless T-V or reading a book, risking a relationship or bridling my tongue, focusing on what's transitory or worshiping God.

Jesus knew a jewel trader who found an exquisite pearl for sale. It was so desirable that it outshone all his other treasures, which he gladly sold in order to purchase the pearl. "That," Jesus said, "is what the kingdom of God is like." It's always a good idea to sort out what's really valuable before investing life in something that will eventually sift through our fingers like sand.

I'm feeling very well. Lots to do today before pulling back for chemo tomorrow which will likely keep me quiet for 2 1/2 days. And then Lisa comes!

Our Nassau friend who had lung cancer is flying to Houston today for a PET scan; we're praying it will show a clean lung. And our Sunday school friend with the new kidney has hit a bump: her creatinine levels are rising dangerously and putting her back in the hospital. Please pray for her too.

Blessings,
Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home