Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Happy Boxing Day

The day after Christmas used to be for boxing up food and taking it to the poor. I wish we still did that, but I suppose we have too many fears about sanitation now. I certainly have a crowded refrigerator after the past days of meals for guests. I also have a heart full of wonderful memories, which is even better.

My Wisconsin friend (Friday's guest) gave me a lovely little book based on the well-known anonymous statement "What Cancer Cannot Do." In this book, Zondervan Publishers have gathered stories from cancer survivors that illustrate the various limitations of cancer: it cannot cripple love, shatter hope, corrode faith, kill friendship, silence courage, etc.

Here are a few thoughts on the new courage cancer brings: "Some of that courage comes from realizing what it means to know that our days are numbered; that the end point of our life has slipped out of the fog, achieved definition, and is now moving toward us. And because we sense the finish line, we want to do everything we possibly can until the race is finished. . . . on another level, courage to try new things comes via an experience tht so shatters your life that you can't help but come back together a new way. Cancer brings you to the end of yourself, realizing you can do nothing to save yourself. You lean heavily on God because he is all you have." This resonates with me. (The book is titled What Cancer Cannot Do, is published by Zondervan, and lists no author.)

On Friday, the 28th, our daughters and I are gathering in Washington DC for a long weekend together. It was their idea, and demonstrates so much love and care. I'm very excited about hanging around together for five days. The idea was born when they realized I'd have no chemo to cause bad days and no appointments to hurry to. Then too, the rising cancer numbers have the effect of making the time we have seem all the more precious. Of course, I'm sorry to leave Chuck home alone for those days. I guess today I'll box up those left-overs and freeze them for him to eat while I'm gone. Yes! Good idea.

The Christmas lights have been so much fun. On a spiritual level, light is crucial. "Let him who walks in the dark, who has no light, trust in the name of the Lord and rely on his God' (Isaiah 50:10).

Love,
Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home