Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Monday, December 24, 2007

Happy Christmas Eve

As a child in a Swedish home in a Swedish community (in Michigan), Christmas Eve was the "big deal" for me. We went to our grandparents' home for dinner and gift-opening every year until they moved to Florida. We children always groaned because the grown-ups insisted on washing all the dishes before we could open gifts. Then we'd gather in the living room and sing several Christmas carols. My grandfather, in his soft, deep voice, would read the beautiful account of the first Christmas from Luke 2, and then he'd pray. At last, it was time for gifts. It was only the idea that enchanted us, I'm sure. Most of the gifts I remember cost under $1.00, some as small as combs or pencils. Yet Christmas was magical for me as a small child--and it's still my favorite time of year.

A few days ago I read a short piece by Jill Carattini, of Ravi Zacharias International Ministries, titled "Stay Awake." Since Advent is not only the count-down to Christmas, but spiritually is also the time for anticipating Christ's return. she quotes Jesus: "Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him" (Matthew 24:42-44).

"The child who was born in Bethlehem came quietly in the night, unbeknownst to many who dwelled near him, yet leaving prints behind in history, and signs upon our lives. Like a thief, he shattered barriers that told us we were autonomous and invaded hearts we thought were shielded. Yet, Christ came not to steal and destroy, but to dwell in all that he might offer us the abundant life of knowing him. 'He was wounded for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his stripes we are healed' (Isaiah 53:5). The signs that Christ has been here are enough to call us to alertness. Like a thief in the night, he will come again. Let us therefore keep watch."

Yesterday afternoon was a feast of good fellowship with good friends in our dining room and living room. I spent the rest of the day making "Merry Christmas" phone calls. This evening after our Christmas Eve dinner, we look forward to a candle-light service at church. (You see how much more energy I have! Thank God.)

Happy Christmas Eve,
Carol

4 Comments:

At Mon Dec 24, 11:05:00 PM GMT-5, Blogger Lallee said...

Merry Christmas, Carol. Meeting you via your blog and Cat Island has been a blessing in my life. Praying God's best blessings for you!

Lallee

 
At Tue Dec 25, 06:51:00 PM GMT-5, Blogger David said...

A friend referred me to your blog a few months ago. My mom had cervical cancer, and sometimes I read your blog looking for insights into my mom’s thoughts about her situation and her family. I hope that has been OK; it’s given me a lot of understanding about my mom and my siblings, and a degree of peace in my musings about my own life. I’m not a particularly religious person, but I have learned a lot about philosophy and religion, too.
I wish you could be with your family this Christmas, but I’m sure they’re holding you in their hearts. For me, reminiscing about Christmases past is perhaps the most enjoyable part of the holiday. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and best wishes for a merry Christmas and happy new year to you and your family.

 
At Wed Dec 26, 07:22:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Carol Wilson said...

Dear David,

Thanks so much for your comment. I'm wondering how your mom is doing.

I'm not particularly religious either, although the distinction might not be obvious. I love God, and believe he has done everything needed to reconcile me to himself and also to help me with daily living. (I really can't do it on my own, though I tried to for a long time.) I hope he will give you his peace.
Carol

 
At Thu Dec 27, 07:26:00 PM GMT-5, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Carol,

We use to live next door to you. Terry & Glenda Watts.

We are GLAD you are doing well.
Happy 2008 to youand Chuck. Sounds like y'all had a nice Christmas. We did too. However, I told Terry I sure wish we had some of those nuts Carol and Chuck brought over year before last, :):). They were "Wondeful".

Take care and Best wishes to you both for a safe Happy New Year!

I do read your blog periodally.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home