Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Reason for the Season

So much love and encouragement our Wisconsin friends brought when they came for lunch yesterday! My heart is still warmed. Then we'd been invited to our neighbors' home for an elegant dinner last evening. It was a treat. He's a former professor of education and she was an elementary teacher. The conversation was fascinating. We stayed up too late, but all is well.

More beauty: Jeremy, our magazine designer at Relevant Media Group, sent the new layout several hours ahead of his deadline. Even better, it's gorgeous. (This is the issue that will be mailed out in February/March 2008.) I was able to get all the minor corrections noted and sent to him before the end of the day. Now Monday can be devoted to cleaning my desk and Inbox.

Our Sunday school teacher sent his usual pre-Sunday letter, and I'd like to quote from it: "Of course, all of us believe 'Jesus is the reason' for the season. But what is that reason?

"It seems to me that we tend to portray Jesus as the answer to life's problems, as though Jesus' reason-for-being is to fix you up and resolve your needs and issues. We rarely say it quite like this, but the idea is that life is about you, or about us, and God saw we were having a bit of trouble in getting through lifie so at Christmas he sent Jesus to be our super helper. . . . In the Bible, it's not about us. Or rather, it's about us only because we each matter to Him. How utterly refreshing! We are part of God's life narrative, not the other way around." So I'm looking forward to class tomorrow!

Yesterday in my Bible reading I found the "Christmas reason" in a surprising place, near the end of the Bible in Hebrews 2:14: "Because God's children are human beings--made of flesh and blood--Jesus also became flesh and blood by being born in human form. For only as a human being could he die, and only by dying could he break the power of the devil, who had the power of death. Only in this way could he deliver those who have lived all their lives as slaves to the fear of dying." Then verse 18 says, "Since he himself has gone through suffering and temptation, he is able to help us when we are being tempted." That's why "Help!" is such a good prayer.

Am I almost halfway through my 8-week break from chemo? I wonder what's going on inside! I'm so thankful to know the faithfulness of God. My friend told me her husband continues to test "clean" from the cancer for which he'd had surgery. "But," she said, "I feel guilty telling you this when you're not getting good news for yourself." Wrong! I prayed for him, and his victory over cancer is also mine. I love hearing about people who get cured or healed. And truly, every day for me is a miracle of life, an answer to prayer, no matter what happens in the future.

We have a quiet day planned for today. I suppose most of you are very busy, but I hope for you at least some quiet and contemplative moments.

Love,
Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home