Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Hark!

The title is a clue; I chose "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" as my favorite Christmas carol to sing in chapel this morning. Then Chuck came home after 13 hours in the hospital with our friend, and (would you believe it?) he'd chosen the same song. But for different reasons. I love it for the heart-stopping truth it tells; Chuck chose it because he's been reading Chuck Swindoll's lovely little book, "A Bethlehem Christmas," which includes a chapter on the incarnation of the Son of God from the point of view of Gabriel and the lesser angels. (I think he'll write a blog about it before the season is over.)

First, I'll report that our friend seems to be doing as well as expected after quadruple bypass surgery. They had a big scare after an hour in intensive care because there was way too much internal bleeding, so back to surgery he went. It was a long day! We were both awake at 4:00 this morning, wondering, so Chuck called the nurse and received a favorable report; we're so thankful. Thanks for your prayers. There's lots of pain, and lots of recovering to do.

We read the news and reflect on our own tangled personal relationships and false moves, and we feel unlovable and abandoned. Then we sing about the One who was "pleased as man, with men, to dwell, Jesus our Emmanuel!" We acknowledge mental confusion and physical deterioration, and we feel dark and desolate. Then we sing, "Light and life to all He brings, risen with healing in His wings. Mild He lays His glory by, Born that man no more may die. Born to raise the sons of earth; born to give them second birth." I wish you could all join us this morning as we sing these hope-building words from "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing," by Charles Wesley.

The phrase "healing in His wings" is curious. I understand that in the Hebrew language, the word "wing" sounds like the name of the knotted fringe of the prayer shawl. (Remember the woman who crept up to Jesus through a crowd, saying, "If only I can touch the fringe of His garment, I'll be healed." And she was, of course.) So Wesley's use of the phrase is perfectly biblical, though strange to our ears. (Frankly, his use of "man" for humans was also culturally acceptable in his day but appalling in ours, but that's a topic for another day.)

I'm so grateful for your love and continuing prayers. When I think about it, I realize that deadly cancer cells are still present, even increasing, in my body. One would never guess that, though, based on how great I'm feeling. We're praying that during this 8-week break from chemo and blood-testing, God will do the work of healing that He chooses to do, all to His credit and glory.

Blessings,
Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home