Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Friday, December 14, 2007

To see an end of slavery

Last night the Carolina Clapham Group (anti-slavery) met again. We're still in the stage of discovering what our role might be. There are other groups in this area that are also concerned about freeing people who are being held and used against their will, both here and more blatantly in other countries. One member of our group is very involved in opening a "safe house" in a country south of here. Staff members will provide counseling and comprehensive after-care for women being rescued from slavery. Even though I was ignorant of the scope of modern-day slavery until only a few months ago, many people have been aware and working hard for a long time. The stop-slavery movement is big and growing. If you live near Charlotte, the Clapham Group would welcome you; we meet the second Thursday of every month. And, of course, we can all boycott chocolate--half of which is produced by slave labor.

A few days ago, I read Colossians 3:1,2 in my morning reading: "Set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits at God's right hand in the place of honor and power. Let heaven fill your thoughts. Do not think only about things down here on earth." It sounds good, but it's hard to do! The realities I see, enjoy, dislike, must do, and interact with are so insistent for attention. Yesterday a friend asked how having cancer has changed the way I think and live. I thought for a moment and then replied with the thought of this verse. Realizing the possibility of being there before long really does make it easier to "set my sights on the realities of heaven"--at least once in awhile. I also believe that every time we make choices based on what will please Christ (who sits "in the place of honor and power"), we are allowing heaven to fill our thoughts. That's good.

I'm still feeling well. I like this new rhythm of weeks not punctuated by chemo!

Fran sees her surgeon today; we're praying for clarity and wisdom for both of them.

Have a blessed day.
Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home