Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Soul Cry

Computers are amazing. My suitcase didn't make the 15-minute transfer in Atlanta (I barely did!), so I arranged for the airline to have it delivered to our home. Wishing for an early bedtime, I called the 800 number to find out when it might come. A human-sounding voice asked for the code number, then after a card-sorting animated sound, the voice told me that my suitcase had been found and was on its way. A few minutes later we heard a vehicle in the driveway, the doorbell rang, and there stood my suitcase. The driver was already back in his car. I'm sure you've all experienced the very same thing. Isn't it amazing? For the purpose of delivering delayed or lost luggage, the performance of the machine (human-programmed, to be sure) is far superior to the efforts of mere humans back in pre-computer days.

The danger comes when we try to do life with a machine mentality. A human-sounding voice says, "I love you." An animated calculator in the brain cranks out a balance of nutrients to prepare for the people we're responsible to feed. An automatic hand pat on the shoulder of a crying friend seems to offer comfort. A counselor points to a Bible verse or a 10-step program and says, "There, do that and you'll be fine." A Christian wants a closer relationship with God, and wonders how many minutes of prayer would be the magic number to achieve that intimacy.

But the soul demands more. We're designed for personal realness. I want my words to reflect genuine caring, not automated sentiments at the push of a button. I want to feel authentic emotions--both yours and mine--both joyful and painful. Above all, I want to move in closer to a formula-free friendship with God. I guess that's my "resolution" for the new year, as long as it's a resolution soaked more in grace than in rigid determination.

And now I must go and unpack that suitcase that I was too tired to open last night. I'm feeling well, and my heart is warmed by happy memories of all those days with our daughters. And now it's so good to be back with Chuck again. Our grandsons, Justin and Jeremy, are coming for the weekend along with their girlfriends Laura and Julianna. It will be fun.

Blessings and encouragement for your day,
Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home