Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Saturday, June 28, 2008

No more learning

Chuck here, expecting Lisa’s arrival by bus at any minute. Thanks to dear friend Stuart, I did not have to make the 5 AM trip out to meet her.

The family continues to assemble. Daughter Karin and Carol’s sister, Ruth, both arrived by air yesterday. Karin’s and Sue’s husbands, Keith and Jeff are still on the road with grandchildren driving from Indiana and Michigan, and are anticipated around mid-morning. Carol has been holding up amazingly well, thrilled to have this opportunity to be with the family. We continue to administer IV fluids to avoid dehydration, and are so thankful that she is not experiencing significant pain. Eating is not desired by her, and the minimal fluids taken by mouth are mostly dispersed through the PEG tube which continues to relieve excess acids from her stomach. (I trust that is not too graphic)

God is gently preparing Carol and each of us for her arrival. We each are focusing more and more on the joy which lies ahead for her rather than the loss that we will also experience without her presence. I believe that I am fully aware of the huge hole that will be left in my life, but I also am experiencing an amazing peace with the pain. Thank you Lord, and thank you each one for your special love, support and prayers! Chuck

The following is a note actually typed by Carol yesterday, to be included in this mornings blog:

I had a startling revelation a couple of days ago. I’m not going to learn anything more about heaven until I’m experiencing it in person. (Pause! Smile! Think about it!) I’m simply too tired to read any more, or even to hold a book. So the wonderful studying I’ve done over the past years is all I have—until I step through that fragile curtain and open my eyes on reality for the first time.

So I thought I’d like to pass that along. Today, while you have some energy and some control over your time, is the opportunity to learn what you need to know for your real future. There’s probably no last-minute cramming.

I’m writing this on Friday afternoon, as we wait for the rest of the family to arrive. I’m getting tireder as time goes by, but not sicker. I love you all and still wish I could tell you so in person. Through Christ, I hope to see you all there some day.

Love,
Carol

PS: Carol asked me to add this to her note. What a blessing the small book One Minute After You Die by Erwin W. Lutzer has been to her as she looks forward to the unimaginable bliss that awaits her in heaven. We have presented this book to each of our children and grandchildren to give them a simple and moving explanation of what the Bible teaches about death. We were introduced to this book in January while attending a conference in Florida where Dr. Lutzer was one of the speakers.

1 Comments:

At Sat Jun 28, 10:38:00 PM GMT-5, Blogger Burkinator said...

Carol (and Chuck),

Reading this blog over the past year or so has so many times been the nudge God used to adjust my view of life and all its happenings. And Carol's posts about slavery are one thing that helped push me to start doing something about it myself. So glad that you are charter members of the Carolina Clapham Circle. You've both been a blessing to the group. I'm continuing to pray for you and your family.

Kristen Burke

 

Post a Comment

<< Home