Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

CA 125

I was so eager to learn the result of the CA 125 blood test. Now I’m not so sure. It’s 55.1. That’s the third increase—after several earlier months of dramatic reduction. On June 5 it was 52.1. This is a small rise, but it’s still in the “wrong” direction, from my point of view. You can imagine where my thoughts raced. God quieted my heart with this thought: You’re already doing everything you can do, so just keep doing it. That reminded me of a story our Kansas friend sent, so I looked it up and will copy it below. (Thanks, Ed.)

Years ago, a farmer owned land along the Atlantic seacoast. He constantly advertised for hired hands. Most people were reluctant to work on farms along the Atlantic. They dreaded the awful storms that raged across the Atlantic, wreaking havoc on the buildings and crops. As the farmer interviewed applicants for the job, he received a steady stream of refusals.”Finally, a short, thin man, well past middle age, approached the farmer. "Are you a good farm hand?" the farmer asked him. "Well, I can sleep when the wind blows," answered the little man.”Although puzzled by this answer, the farmer, desperate for help, hired him. The little man worked well around the farm, busy from dawn to dusk, and the farmer felt satisfied with the man's work.

Then one night the wind howled loudly in from offshore. Jumping out of bed, the farmer grabbed a lantern and rushed next door to the hired hand's sleeping quarters. He shook the little man and yelled, "Get up! A storm is coming! Tie things down before they blow away!" The little man rolled over in bed and said firmly, "No sir. I told you, I can sleep when the wind blows."

Enraged by the response, the farmer was tempted to fire him on the spot. Instead, he hurried outside to prepare for the storm. To his amazement, he discovered that all of the haystacks had been covered with tarpaulins. The cows were in the barn, the chickens were in the coops, and the doors were barred. The shutters were tightly secured. Everything was tied down.
Nothing could blow away. The farmer then understood what his hired hand meant, so he returned to his bed to also sleep while the wind blew. When you're prepared spiritually, mentally, and physically, you have nothing to fear. Can you sleep when the wind blows through your life?

I slept a lot yesterday, and will probably do so again today. But this is kemo fatigue—not cancer symptoms. The doctor wants to continue with the same kemo protocol two weeks from now, and will run another test a week later. Whatever the results, God is good. I know that. Frankly, though, I hope the numbers start to drop.

Thanks for your prayers. I especially appreciate your praying for Chuck and the family; this is their life too.

Love,
Carol

4 Comments:

At Wed Jul 26, 08:17:00 AM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carol
My name is Patsy Peacock and I live on Canvasback Drive, next door to where the Dickeys used to live (miss them terribly). I am a 10 year cancer survivor. Just want you to know that you bless me daily. I read your blog faithfully and your scriptural references and your stories have become my daily devotionals. Thank you for what you do. You are touching, inspiring, and blessing the lives of so many. My prayers include you.
ps I met Chuck and your grandson this morning as they were walking to SIM. I introduced myself and we had a nice visit...met Edna R. as I was walking, too. What a lovely lady.

 
At Wed Jul 26, 08:39:00 AM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning, Carol. I just now came to your blog from reading my email messages. One of them was about the hired hand being able to sleep through the storm. God's timing is always so incredible. I have often shared your blogs with a relative by marriage who is going through some difficult storms. I love how God is weaving us all together -- even those of us who have never met. Thank you for holding fast to God during your time of trial -- it benefits all of us!

At your suggestion, I started reading Jeremy's blogs as well. I tried to write him a response the other day and lost it -- I will try again.

Remembering you in prayer,
Janet

 
At Wed Jul 26, 09:52:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Carol Wilson said...

Hey, Patsy and Janet. Thanks so much; you've really encouraged me. Carol

 
At Mon Jul 31, 08:07:00 AM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm off to get the CD and the
new one too - the song was just
beautiful! (Where did Bob and
Ann Dickey move - didn't
know they were gone) Joe, Jennifer
and I continue our prayers for
you and
Chuck. Know the SS lesson was
good - a precious friend with
cancer has "claimed" Habakkuk 3: l7-l9 "What can I do when my
feelings go from discouraged to hopeless? HAB. 3:l7-l9 "Trusting
God in the Dark" and from Dr. Stanley: HAB. 3:l7-l9 "Dissappointments are inevitable; discouragement is a choice." I love the last one.
Judy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home