Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Risk


The evening before we brought Jeremy with us to Charlotte, he got his first opportunity to wakeboard. He did great until this moment. You can see by the expression on his face that he knows there's nothing he can do to prevent a "face plant." I'm wondering if he's feeling similar emotions now after nearly two weeks of orientation at SIM: looming cultural faux pas; the frustrations of trying to communicate in French, Hausa, Songhai or all three; unheard-of diseases; and especially the spiritual challenges of wanting so much to bring the love of Christ to a very poor and strongly Muslim society. He's having a wonderful time, and I'm sure that God, who called him to do this, will keep him from going under. We love having him with us.

I was sorting through some stored papers, and I found some things from the time of my mother's death 2 1/2 years ago. I read again the large stack of beautiful cards, and realized that about three quarters of them were from members of our Sunday School class--the same people who are now impoverishing themselves by sending endless showers of encouraging cards to me during this battle with cancer. Do you see why I can't stop bragging about that class? Well, they're not the only ones. A dear friend in Michigan hand-crafts a card every week. Yes, hand-crafts! They are true works of art. And there are many others in many places whose ministry of encouragement (by cards and e-mails) keeps us going. The fellowship of friends and family is surely one of the greatest delights of life on this earth.

A full day of writing yesterday (working at home) put me well on track for completing the first draft of the next SIM magazine before the weekend (and before next week's chemo gets a chance to limit my work for awhile). I'm praying that it won't, but I have learned that those "still" times are good for me too.

Lisa and her cousins will be driving from Washington DC starting about 2:00 this afternoon. We pray for their safety.

Grandson Justin told me last night that he has injured his leg (torn muscle?) and the pain is intense, especially at night. He can't see his doctor until Monday. I spent time during the night praying for him.

Note: This is actually Friday's post. I made a draft on Thursday to upload the photo, and I see that blogger insists on using Thursday's date. Sorry.

Blessings,
Carol

3 Comments:

At Fri Jul 21, 08:09:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Joylynn Rasmussen said...

And I'm driving in tomorrow morning! (I don't know if Lisa told you that:).
Love,
Joylynn

 
At Fri Jul 21, 04:18:00 PM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol...Mebbe tell Justin to go to emerg with his painful leg if he did not go to his reg. doc today. Then also schedule appt with an orthopedic doc (bone doc.) The ortho doc was good advice I got from daughters mom-in-law when I sprained my ankle from landing wrong from a hip throw in karate a few years ago. It was too painful for too many months and lots of people helped me throw my newspapers and mags so I could keep my 3 routes for The Charlotte Observer.. The orthopedic doc made sure I would not limp. They need to check long range bone stuff.
I hurt with him!
My brother & his wife drove from Newark NJ and stayed in DC last w/e. Our son John is coming in from Raleigh tomorrow. Family is FUN!!!
hugs,
-xena

 
At Fri Jul 21, 06:46:00 PM GMT-5, Blogger Hannatu said...

I loved this blog. I'm sure Jeremy will do a few face plants culturally speaking, but he seems to be made of the stuff that will enable him to get up and try again. I think he's inherited some of your ability to keep going no matter what and to do it joyfully.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home