Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Friday, October 06, 2006

Feelin' Good

Thanks to God and your prayers, I'm feeling quite well this morning. I think I'll go to work. So far, it seems this new drug (Doxil) is kinder; hope it's still really mean to the cancer. Just for fun, at the end of this blog I'll pass along some of the information the doctor gave me about the drug. This is real science!

Two neighbors stopped by last evening, and later grandson Justin called--all to cheer me because they knew I'd be missing Jeremy. So sweet. Right now he should be on the final leg of his journey, flying from Paris to Niger.

Lately it seems my mind has been drawn again and again to heaven. Wednesday evening Jeremy and I were listening to a CD by Jars of Clay, and I thought I'd share part of their song, "All my Tears."

When I go, don’t cry for me
In my Father’s arms I’ll be
The wounds the world left on my soul
Will all be healed and I’ll be whole
Sun and moon will be replaced
With the light of Jesus’ face
And I will not be ashamed
For my Savior knows my name

Gold and silver blind the eye
Temporary riches lie
Come and eat from Heaven’s store
Come and drink and thirst no more

Good stuff, huh?

Now about Doxil: "Doxil is doxorubicin (an older cancer drug) placed into a capsule, surrounded by a fat bubble called a liposome and another layer of hair-like strands made from polyethylene glycol. This coating allows Doxil to evade detection and destruction by the immune system, which increases the time the drug is in the body. The majority of the drug stays inside the liposome while in the blood (at least 90%). Therefore, Doxil has more time to reach the tumor tissue, where the medication slowly leaks out. However, because of the longer circulation time of the liposome, Doxil may also affect normal tissue, causing some side effects. Because the drug slowly leaks out into the tumor over time, you get treated less often than you would with doxorubicin. The exact mechanism of release is not known." I said above this is real science, but actually it sounds like science fiction. All we could see during treatment was a transparent orange liquid entering my vein. Who'd have guessed about the capsules, fat bubbles and hair-like strands!

I talked last evening with a friend who has virtually imprisoned herself in her mother's basement. Life is incredibly difficult for her; she's a true believer in Jesus, but she's struggling with a destructive past: long childhood abuse, attempted suicide, handicapped child, divorce, and much illness. She spends her time praying and sleeping. It's very complicated. I wonder if you'd lift up a prayer for her to find her way out--somehow.

Thanks for loving and praying.
Carol

1 Comments:

At Fri Oct 06, 08:26:00 AM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are so thankful that this medicine is "kinder" to you.
This is an answer to our prayers.
We just pray that it will attack
only the bad cells and vigorously.
Have a wonderful day.
In Christian love,
Joe and Judy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home