Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Big Picture

It's very important to keep a broad perspective and not narrow my world to my own selfish concerns. Dr. Phillip M. Harter of Stanford University School of Medicine imagined a composite village of only 100 people, maintaining all the human ratios existing in the real world. In this imaginary but realistic village, of the 100 people there:

57 would be Asian
21 would be European
14 would be from the Americas
8 would be African
70 would be non-Christian
30 would be culturally Christian [note: fewer would truly know Christ]
6 would possess 59 % of the world's wealth
80 would live in substandard housing
70 would be unable to read
50 would suffer from malnutrition
1 would be near death
1 would have a college education

I think often of women in, say, India or Africa. Few would even reach my age. If they did, and then got cancer, most would likely have to lie on the hard ground, get very little nourishing food and little or no loving care, have no access to life-prolonging medicine, and die quickly. I am so blessed!

I called my brother's cell phone yesterday afternoon and he said, "We're home." "Both of you?" I asked. "Yes, well you see, we got this miracle Friday morning . . . ." Thank God, my sister-in-law is now comfortable with only simple ibuprofen. As for our friend Jo, we haven't heard from them since her surgery Friday evening and we didn't ask which hospital they're in. We keep praying for her.

For some of you, Sunday is nearly over already, but for us it's just beginning. One more thought about perspective: if we are able to attend a gathering of Christians where we can worship God together without fear of harassment, arrest, torture, or death, we are fortunate indeed. Almost half of the world can't. (This is why we do mission.)

Have a great day.

Love,
Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home