Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Monday, January 15, 2007

Beautiful People



For about 25 years, our family has had fun repeating the exaggerated Bahamiam accent we heard on a radio commercial in Nassau for Carnation brand milk. "Cah-nation! Da's muh brahnd." Yesterday at lunch, Viveca, the actress who made that commercial (and many since), was at the table next to ours. To our delight, she's a celebrity who's gracious to her fans, so we got hugs and a nice chat. She now hosts the morning show on MORE94FM.com. As soon as I finish here, I plan to tune in.

A few hours later, we were driving along the eastern shore of the island, looking at the beautiful flowers (I'll show them tomorrow), and wishing we'd made plans to see Davidson--a dear friend we first met in the early 60s when he did his Ph.D. at Michigan State University. He sang in the choir I directed, and we loved him and invited him to our home several times ("Hundreds," he says. I wish!) As we were passing his house, suddenly he stepped out of his door! We stopped, of course, and enjoyed a refreshing visit with him and his beautiful wife (on left below). A few years after he was in Michigan, my mother and father went to his birthplace island, Cat Island, to conduct children's Bible classes in the schools, and my mom and his mom became good friends. Davidson has apparently beat cancer, and we're thanking God for that. That's my sister in the long floral skirt.
I notice that almost every conversation these days turns to someone's cancer. And when the next sentence refers to their death, there's an instant of shock as the speaker wonders if it's okay to say that word to someone who is living with cancer. (As if we wouldn't otherwise think of it?) Anyway, I want to say, Yes, it's okay. Death isn't the worst thing that can happen, nor is it dangerous to think about. It's powerfully instructive to live life with the consciousness of death. Last week someone sent me an email that said: Don't be afraid of death. Be afraid of never starting to live.

In the largest sense, the life we should fear missing is the forever life God made us for. I tell you this from the depths of my soul. My life--as much as I love it--would be useless and hopeless if not for the fact that my forever life with God is assured through Jesus' death on the cross for my sins.

More walking, more sunshine, and more friends are in the plans for today.

Love,
Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home