Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Monday, May 07, 2007

Not Laughing

Yesterday we heard a comedian. He's talented, but he told a joke that made his wife look like an idiot. Chuck and I didn't laugh. Then he went on to paint all women with the same brush. We're still not laughing. And there was more; he reminded me of all the bullies I've ever known. We all need to laugh, and I really appreciate humor, but not at the expense of people who don't have the microphone and can't defend themselves. I do remember that my word for this year is "kindness," and I need to be kind to this guy and forgive him for his obvious lack of respect. But, hey, let's be kind to people, even when we're trying to be funny, okay? There--I said it, and now I'll smile again. A friend in Sunday school gave me a CD of a humorist I like; I'll listen to it and laugh as I drive today.

We took our Michigan friends along to Watershed church for the morning service. (This is the church Jeremy introduced us to.) The pastors there are so eager to reach the urban population with the love of God. Part of that, obviously, is to intentionally include people of all ethnicities. They featured a panel of people of color who worship at Watershed, and they revealed some alarming realities about life for them here. One man said that when he makes purchases, white salepersons never place change in his hand; they drop it in, or even drop it on the counter. Such a small thing, but such a big message. Another--a successful consultant--went to give a "high five" to a colleague in celebration of a shared success, and she said, "Hey, did you wash your hands?" And here, in my ignorance, I've been thinking and saying that race relations are sweeter here in Charlotte than up north, because they worked harder at it back in the 60s. Well, I've been sobered.

Chuck installed a new frog sculpture on our bedroom table. He's very cute, and is holding up a lantern. It reminds me to seek the true light for my path, as well as to Fully Rely On God.

This afternoon I'll have my regular check-up with my surgeon. He says he'll probably be able to tell if tumors start to grow again. I pray there aren't any. Then tomorrow I'll get kemo. Whether or not the taxol becomes effective again, we know God is able to drive down the cancer, and that's what we ask for.

Our Nassau friend with lung cancer has been coughing up blood. The oncologist says it's the result of the radiation. He has completed his chemo regimen, and has two weeks of radiation to go. We pray it will shrink the tumors and not cause further damage.

Blessings,
Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home