Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Good Blood

Reports from the blood count show that all is well. Some are a bit below normal and some a bit high, but there's nothing alarming. I thank the Lord for his protection of my life and wellbeing, and I thank you for your prayers and interest.

As often happens after we take an interest in a particular cause, it begins to show up everywhere. Ever since that letter from an SIM worker alerted me to the slavery underlying the availability of chocolate, almost daily I've heard or read something about the pervasive horrors of worldwide slavery. It's easy to think, "But I can't do anything." Yesterday I read this on stevecookie.blogspot.com -- quoting John Prendergast: "Early on, I had been a bit incredulous as to the real possibilities of citizen action in moving governments to act. Then, as I saw student and religious groups and others really responding and mobilizing to these different crises, and as I started to see policy change, I began to believe in the power of ordinary people to make a difference. Perhaps it is too much to hope, but if these students and thousands of other new activists on behalf of the defenseless have their way, the first genocide of the 21st century might also be the last, or at least the last one that doesn't provoke an appropriately strong response." Well, I'd certainly like to see an appropriately strong response against slavery in Sudan, India, China, Burma (Myanmar), and in fact right here in the USA. My voice is small, maybe weaker than ever, but I'll keep looking for ways to raise it against This Immoral Trade (the title of the book I've just finished reading, by Baroness Caroline Cox and Dr. John Marks).

I haven't stopped fighting my cancer; I simply want that fight to be part of the background routine in the daily living of a full and meaningful life. The other day I read in Psalm 118:17, "I will not die, but I will live to tell what the Lord has done." I would like "what he has done" to be the topic of my conversations today.

Blessings,
Carol

2 Comments:

At Thu Aug 02, 12:09:00 PM GMT-5, Blogger Lallee said...

Carol, I am so glad to read of your good blood report. I am praying you will have good strength and feel well when you unite with the cousins soon.

Please keep pinging us on slavery education. I am reminded of hearing George Grant speak (his book, too) years ago on the significance of grass roots effort. All major movements began there, so don't underestimate your small voice.

So sorry you missed the bee contest! You'll love the next picture I'll put up soon.

 
At Fri Aug 03, 07:36:00 PM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs. Wilson,

Joy Eggerichs here..so encouraging to read your entries. You are an amazing woman. My mother kept telling me of your passion to fight slavery and I wanted you to know that I am fighting with you and on your behalf. I have organized things at my church for International Justice Mission (IJM) and am currently helping plan a benefit dinner for them here in Portland. I was honored to be able to go to their headquarters in DC in May and blown away by the dedication of that organization. I will think of you from now on as I try to help further their mission.
xoxo

Joy Eggerichs

 

Post a Comment

<< Home