Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Puddleglum

Puddleglum is a character in C.S. Lewis' much-loved Narnia books. He was a Marsh-wiggle and an extreme pessimist, always expecting the worst. I was surprised to read the other day that Billy Graham's family nicknamed him "Puddleglum." If he had a natural negative streak, he certainly didn't display it in public. Amazingly, his close associates say that he was unfailingly positive and optimistic in leading his vast organization--even during the most discouraging times. Was he merely acting? I think everyone wants to follow a leader who offers hope, and no doubt the best of them learn early to feed their optimism and starve their pessimism. (I'm reading The Leadership Secrets of Billy Graham, by Harold Myra and Marshall Shelley.) They wrote something that I think will help me to feel better:

"In one sense, everyone is 'acting' all the time. Each day we choose the 'script' we communicate to our bodies, and our bodies respond." They quote Dr. James Loehr, a coach to athlets and corporate executives. "The ON switch for an emotion can be fully activated regardless of whether it fits reality as judged by the rational brain."

Last evening I was preparing my list of physical concerns for today's and tomorrow's doctor visits, and by the time I'd finished I was feeling really bad. I think it's important to face "reality" in order to get the best possible medical care, but I certainly don't want to live there. I need to find and consistently use that ON switch for positive, hopeful emotions. (The greatest reality of all, of course, is the truth that God is in total control, and His ultimate plan for us is unbelievably good.)

Chuck is having the rest of that basal cell carcinoma removed from his cheek tomorrow morning. We're trusting God to guide the surgeon's hand to get it all.

I'm researching some cancer centers around the U.S., thinking it might be time to explore further options. Research is tiring, and it's hard to evaluate. I'll be grateful for your prayers for wisdom and discernment.

Blessings,
Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home