Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Beautiful Celebration

After a few hours of sleep, I awoke thinking about the beautiful celebration of God working in and through a very special lady for some 71 years. (Knowing that many around the world could not attend, I just had to go to the computer and type a few lines). It was something that Carol had envisioned when we called Tom and Stuart to our home on June 29, and together with the family, she gave us her thoughts for an appropriate celebration that would focus on her precious Lord. We were reminded that this was to be about Him...not about her.

After hugs and greetings from hundreds of guests, the family and I walked down the center aisle following the casket with the music from Mercyme, I Can Only Imagine, filling the room. This song by the way, was selected by grandson Gavin.

At Carol's request, the celebration was an informal time of sharing, held in the Fellowship Hall with a very limited number of floral arrangements. Clusters of hundreds of pastel balloons and tables with a huge variety of food items were available to help maintain our strength during the two-hour time of greeting guests prior to the planned celebration. "Adopted" daughter Connie and her team did an amazing job of preparing the room. As you prayed, the Lord gave an extra measure of strength to each of us after a long week. We were delighted to see so many from near and far. I was even surprised to see my former secretary from some 35 years ago, who with her husband, drove over twelve hours to be with us. What a humbling experience!

"Adopted" son Rob had prepared cards for each guest with a copy of the picture done by daughter Sue (see earlier blog) that Carol saw three weeks ago when we were in Michigan for the wedding of Justin and Laura. Sue sent the painting home with us, and I put it on the wall where Carol could see it while confined to bed, and she dictated a short personal message to be printed on the reverse side. By the way, we do plan to have those pictures available at the Michigan celebration on August 2.

At the end of the celebration, the family followed the casket out, listening to that wonderful song by Anthony Burger, We Shall Behold Him. I will let your theology dictate if Carol was watching from afar, but regardless, I know that it was the type of celebration that she envisioned. I guess my theology would have her busy with friends and family members in the presence of her Lord, and the things of this world growing extremely dim in comparison to what she is now experiencing.

Carol's final comments written on the back of the picture were: "Thinking back on my life, I am filled with love and gratitude for you. Thank you for allowing me to share in your lives - I have treasured our time together. Cling to Jesus. I'll see you on the other side of the curtain...I love you, Carol"

And from the family...we love you too! The many emails, letters, cards, calls, and delicious food have been amazing expressions of your love for us and for our beloved Carol. We will never be able to adequately thank you for that love!

Love,

Chuck and family

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home