Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Don't Cry for Me

Yesterday the communication team at SIM International got to teach the new missionary candidates at SIMUSA about their own potential for communicating to their friends and supporters. They are remarkable people. We joined them for lunch, and I shared a table with a family who are headed for Ethiopia. She's a family practitioner and will provide medical care for the mission community there. Her husband will teach at the Bible College. Seems like we've been praying for years for a doctor to take up that position; it was fun to get to know the answer in person.

I heard from a friend who is also battling cancer. Just now it's harder for her, because her husband doesn't want to talk about possible death. He wants her to maintain a fighting posture all the time--fighting for "this present world, for life." I think it's up to us, the ones who are "fighting for life" but honestly facing the possibility of death, to keep on knocking until the door of conversation opens with those we care about. Jars of Clay is an outstanding contemporary band, and on one of their recent albums (maybe the latest?) they sing a song titled "All My Tears," about the believer's hope. I thought I'd share part of it here. It's true! (Well, except for the command "don't cry." How can we not? But then, when we cry after a death, we're really crying for ourselves, aren't we, not for the one who is now fully whole.)

Jars of Clay – “All My Tears”
When I go, don’t cry for me
In my Father’s arms I’ll be
The wounds the world left on my soul
Will all be healed and I’ll be whole
Sun and moon will be replaced
With the light of Jesus’ face
And I will not be ashamed
For my Savior knows my name

So weep not for me, my friends
When my time below does end
For my life belongs to Him
Who will raise the dead again.

Time and again the Bible reminds us to focus our thoughts on our real life--the life we will share with Him forever. Let's do that today, whatever else is keeping our minds and hands busy.

Love,
Carol

2 Comments:

At Wed Nov 08, 04:11:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Jeremy said...

Hey Grandma!

Yea, that's Jars of Clay's latest. Good song, eh?

That song reminds me of Jesus when he's going to the cross. He tells the women behind him to weep for themselves, not for him because he's being freed, they're still in the world!

Love you tons!

 
At Wed Nov 08, 06:09:00 PM GMT-5, Blogger _abe said...

Hey Grandma!

(I figured I would call you grandma too... I mean... I spent so much time at the Slager household in the days of my youth it is/was pretty much my second home... So, Yeah... I am going to call myself family:)

You make me extremely happy! I love to read what is going on in your life... You challenge me greatly with your thoughts! I appreciate how open and honest you are... thanks for being real.

love ya...
your grandson,
abe :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home