Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Thanks for Praying

Implantation of the port yesterday was certainly nothing to dread, and I'm glad I hadn't wasted time or energy fretting about it. And it was such a relief to have ready access for the kemo. Dr. Boyd was considering switching to a different kemo since the CA 125 had climbed significantly, but decided to give Doxil one more chance. He was influenced by how well I feel, and by the mean reputation of the cisplatin he'd thought of switching to. We're praying that during the 3 weeks before my next blood test, those cancer markers will level off so we don't have to make that switch yet. Hey, how about praying that we never have to! (Even if they're still rising, if the rate slows it will be a good sign that the Doxil is working.) I feel pretty well today, but I plan to stay home. Tests show I've gone anemic for the first time in several months, and I think I'll just rest when I feel like it. I did get an injection to boost the hemoglobin, so eventually I should regain some energy.

I think I've mentioned that I'm taking advantage of this season of feeling well to sort through some of the clutter I've managed to accumulate. Even if I live a long time, it should be done. I found a packet of "treasures" my mother had asked me to store for her and I'd completely forgotten about. It's mostly ancient newspaper clippings and precious letters from her kids and grandchildren. And her lovely 70-year-old satin wedding gown. This was written on a tiny note card: "I'd rather live in a hovel and marvel at everything than live in a mansion and marvel at nothing." Well, Mom, you're in a mansion now, and your lifelong habit of marveling at everything is surely continuing in that wonderful place!

Yesterday a friend wrote, "While driving to Bible Study Fellowship this morning, I was thanking God for the leafy shades of yellow and light green that announce the subtle arrival of autumn in Texas. While trying hard NOT to compare what I was seeing with the absolutely GLORIOUS colors of my childhood autumns in New Jersey and young adulthood in Michigan, I did let one little prayer escape: 'Oh, dear Lord, if I could only see a maple tree, even just one!'" Then she went home, saw the maple tree on my blog, and thanked the Lord for answering her prayer. Don't you love split-second timing like that? The day before, my college friend had written that my comments about 31 Days of Praise had appeared on a day when she was "in the pits" over family situations and her own perceived failure to say the right thing. It encouraged her to know she'd done the right thing in sending that book. If you knew her, you'd agree with me that she does hundreds of right things daily, but I understand about down days. And it's an indication of the bigness of God that He takes a little thing like a "random" blog and uses it to encourage one of His dear children exactly when she needs it.

Okay, back to bed for awhile.

Thanks for praying.

Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home