Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Monday, November 13, 2006

Ordinary

Ordinary people! I’ve always viewed Hebrews 11 as a directory of heroes, but yesterday we learned that most of the people named were ordinary people who got in the habit of living their ordinary lives with God as their point of reference. (They “walked with” God.) And when God brought extraordinary circumstances or opportunities into their lives, they were so used to trusting Him that they kept right on doing so, and as a result the record of their lives was that, “By faith,” they did this or that. Four times in the chapter, it says they were “commended”—for believing, not for doing great deeds. Well I say, when you have such a strong and trustworthy God, all options for living other than trusting Him seem really foolish.

I got to thinking about you all. We’re only three weeks short of a full year since I learned of my cancer and started this blog. And “by faith,” you are continuing to pray for me, even though I haven’t gone into remission and the cancer numbers are climbing and the weeks stretch into months, still “by faith” you pray. You are my heroes of faith. Thank you.

Our dear friend Sue, a nurse with SIM, came yesterday morning and has already left this morning. Her visit was a refreshing love and presence. She had recently heard a talk by Dr. Ed Dobson, a Grand Rapids former pastor who has ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease). He listed 9 unhelpful things people commonly say to those living with terminal illness. It sounded like most sick people could identify with him. I realized, with great thankfulness, that my friends are unusual. I’m not hearing those unhelpful statements at all (except for #9, “If you’ll buy this product from me, I’m sure it will make you well.” And I’ve heard that one only rarely.) How can I thank you for being so wise that you make only helpful, encouraging comments?

My cancer buddy’s blood is at last beginning to thin and we pray that soon the clots in his lungs will dissolve. He also needs relief from extreme fatigue.

It’s a beautiful morning and I’m feeling ready for a day’s work. For myself, we continue to pray that the cancer will recede and the blood test in two weeks will show a drop in numbers. We’re praying also that the neuropathy in my hands and feet will turn around; it’s been getting worse this month. And as always, my #1 request is to fully live this day—with God as my point of reference.

Love,
Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home