Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Singing

Yesterday a colleague started humming as he poured his coffee in our office kitchen. It was beautiful. Reminded me of yesterday's reading in Joni Eareckson Tada's devotional, Pearls of Great Price, encouraging us to break out into song whenever we get a chance. She said that the Bible mentions only one time Jesus sang (although no doubt he sang very often without mention): the night before his crucifixion (Matthew 26:30). Paul also sang: at midnight, in a wretched jail, his back lashed bloody by the whips of his persecutors (Acts 16:25). There's a lovely line in an old hymn, "Come, thou fount of every blessing, tune my heart to sing...." I'm asking God for that kind of "tune-up" this morning.

There's an interesting story back of my ownership of Joni's book. In November, when we invited our Michigan friends to meet us at a mall food court, one couple drove several hours to be there. They are now our friends, but we had never met them before that day; she was a reader of this blog. Chuck asked how they planned to recognize us, and she said, "Oh, I thought I'd look for a lady in a red hat." Sure enough, I had worn the same hat that's in my photo here. Even without it, they'd have had a hard time missing our large and chatty group. Anyway, she gave me Pearls. I suppose you all recognize Joni as the woman who at 17 suffered a diving accident that made her a quadriplegic. In the decades since, she has made a huge difference for handicapped people around the world and has taught big lessons to the rest of us.

I need to leave early this morning for my blood test. Sometime tomorrow I'll get the report. Whatever it is, by God's grace I'll try to continue to sing His praises, even in my kemo-cracked voice. God is daily doing a miracle of wellbeing for me.

Grandson Justin called last evening, safely back from a wonderful cross-cultural experience in Costa Rica. We're thankful. Grandson Jeremy (in Niger) made "photo of the week" at sim.org. Click on it to read more.

Love,
Carol

1 Comments:

At Tue Jan 23, 07:54:00 AM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Morning Carol,

I'm still a daily reader, so caught the reference to Joni's devotional, "Pearls of Great Price." I'm glad you are enjoying it. I believe that everyone who has an "oyster-like response" to life's irritations and challenges becomes a pearl. That is what hooked me on your blog. I constantly see the reality of challenge, along with the right response. I am hungry for that wherever I see it.
May God continue to bless you.
A Michigan pearl finder,
Janet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home