Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Kindness

First, I want to mention the kindness of God. Again. Kemo went well yesterday. Blood count lab work indicates that I'm in good shape. The two that I understand, hemoglobin (red cells for energy) and white cells (infection resistance) are still in normal range. That's totally amazing after 21 infusions of all these toxins! One of the kemo nurses had time to be chatty, and she expressed wonder that I'm doing so well. She said that kemo makes everyone tired. Some can't get moving in the morning, others collapse after lunch, and the lucky ones (like me) simply fade early in the evening. I do feel I got the best end of that deal. It seems that the numbness (neuropathy) in my feet is getting a bit worse. There's not much they can do for that. It doesn't hurt, only makes me feel clumsy. (By the way, for new readers, I should explain that several months ago my grandchildren sent note in which they spelled chemo "kemo." I thought it was cute, and actually defused some of the threatening connotations of chemo, so I've switched to that spelling.

My "cancer buddy" went home from the hospital yesterday, MRI and other tests having indicated no stroke or heart problems. He still has the lung cancer with lymph involvement to deal with, of course. They're blaming his episode on extreme vertigo. Our Nassau friend and his wife are flying home today to encourage their daughter. They'll be back in Florida for their appointment with the surgeon on February 6, after the Super Bowl crowds have left.

I chose "Kindness" as my word for 2007, desiring to put the word into daily practice. I'm learning that kindness doesn't stand by itself. Prerequisites include compassion, empathy, unselfishness, generosity, forgiveness, and an open heart to hear the voice of God and to hear beyond the words people are saying. It's also essential to have margins of time in one's schedule, lest kind impulses get pushed away by busyness. Nevertheless, it's a worthy pursuit. God's Word says, "Be kind to one another." I just looked that up in the Message paraphrase (Ephesians 4:31) and it says, "Be gentle with one another, sensitive. Forgive one another as quickly and thoroughly as God in Christ forgave you."

I've finished reading Job, but I'm not done thinking about it.

Maybe I'll climb back in bed for awhile.

Love,
Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home