Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Legacies of Grace

Ian Leitch, the first speaker yesterday morning, said "Grace is a favor rendered by one who need not do so." That's exactly right. When I say every day is a gift of grace, and every step and every breath, it's all from God and he "need not do so."

For weeks I've joked about walking on stage during this reunion with all those "old people." Guess what! I wilted yesterday afternoon after all the hugs and interactions, and we returned to our cozy hotel room; I was in bed by 7:30 so didn't even attend the session when the 50th celebrants were scheduled to "parade." I feel great again this morning, and we'll enjoy the morning sessions before heading back to Indiana, traveling tomorrow to Charlotte for kemo on Friday.

We set a record. Of 244 in our graduating class, 203 are still alive and 101 came to the Monday dinner, and I saw at least 2 more who showed up Tuesday. A classmate was relentless in phoning, sometimes 2, 3, even 4 times, to persuade the "too busy" friends to get here. One is Raymond Joseph, the ambassador from Haiti to the United States. He was remarkable 50 years ago and is even more so now. For many years he sent radio broadcasts from New York back to Haiti encouraging revolution against the infamous Papa Doc Duvalier--for which he received the death sentence in absentia. He said that for years he kept a few steps ahead of the dictator. Now he's been placed in this very influential position, where he continues to live for the glory of God. Most of the rest of us were more ordinary, but everyone has a story of grace.

One guy was quite long-winded in recounting his 50 years of accomplishments. Of course I didn't say anything, and I hope my face didn't reflect my feelings. But when I got back to the room, I was still thinking critical thoughts. Then two words popped into my mind: "Be kind." I didn't realize how often my word-for-the-year, Kindness, would challenge me.

We're praying for our Nassau friend, who endured several consultations yesterday regarding his lung condition (he didn't want to use the word cancer until they heard the biopsy report yesterday). I hope by tomorrow I can provide an update and plan for his treatment.

I have to say that the best gift this week was visiting with my brother Dave and his wife Carol. Everything else was wonderful too.

Blessings,
Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home