Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Friday, June 22, 2007

Heading for the Mountains

Today I'm feeling better. After work we plan to head up to the mountains for a weekend of camping on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I love that place. I jokingly tell people that it's mine, but they're welcome to use it if they'll take good care of it. There's no electricity, so I probably won't be able to post blogs for the next two days, unless we happen to find a place with wireless access.

There's a dear family in Michigan whose teenaged son, days before his high school graduation, got a severe headache which quickly progressed to a coma that has lasted for three weeks. There are now some small signs of hope, and having evaluated all options for care, they have decided to take him home in the next week or so. They believe they can provide the stimulation and rehabilitation he needs. The challenges they will face seem overwhelming. I wonder if you'd be willing to lift up a prayer for Micah and his family. God is fully reliable!

This need reminds me of the remarkable story of Elisha that I read recently in 2 Kings 4. First, he promised an infertile woman that she would have a son, and by the grace of God she did. A few years later the boy got a terrible headache; his mother left him on the bed (dead) in the guest room (Elisha's) and hurried to get Elisha. When the prophet got there, he prayed, then lay atop the child mouth-to-mouth, eyes-to-eyes, hands-to-hands. And God sent life back into that boy's body. Amazing! May he do the same for Micah (who is certainly not dead).

A few days earlier, I read in 1 Kings 15 about a huge stone-moving project. An enemy king had invaded Judah and fortified a border town in order to control the border. When help came, the enemy king abandoned the fortified town. That's when it gets fascinating. The king of Judah ordered every adult in his kingdom to help carry away the building stones and timbers the enemy had used in fortifying their hostile position. Not only did they deprive the enemy of materials he could have used in the future, they then used those materials to fortify a couple of their own cities. I think there are things in our lives (habits, objects, obsessions, maybe even relationships) that have in the past been used against us for our hurt. We shouldn't leave them around, available for future spiritual attack. Instead, we should find ways to turn them into fortifications for our souls.

I appreciate your prayers so much. I'm still experiencing mild nausea. More seriously, this new chemo carries a threat of damage to healthy blood cells. (The nurse was quite concerned about our travel plans. We'll test the blood every week, and will adjust our plans if necessary.) God is fully reliable.

Blessings,
Carol

1 Comments:

At Fri Jun 22, 06:39:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Lallee said...

Carol, so nice to hear from you. I love your post about dismantling our stones, and I will be praying for Micah, too. His family must be overwhelmed.

We discovered Cat Island at my brother's recommendation even though he has never been there himself. We like its remoteness with much left still natural, but having the comforts at Fernandez Bay. We have been three summers, taking our grown three sons on the middle trip. I reminisced and shared some pictures in recent blog posts. I don't know if you looked back that far. We are skipping this summer. My husband and oldest son just went to Mayaguana for a fishing trip. It looks a little to remote for me.

I hope you are able to make your mountain trip this weekend. I love NC~my son lives in the Chapel Hill area. My grandparents came from NC so lots of family ties there.

Blessings,
Lallee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home