Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Sunday, June 17, 2007

"Sleep"

Yesterday afternoon we watched on T-V the funeral service for Ruth Graham, Billy's wife. She had certainly touched her family and her world with love! A daughter read a prayer, "Sleep," from Valley of Vision, which both Ruth and Billy often requested to hear. I'll quote part of it here:

"May my frequent lying down make me familiar with death,
the bed I approach remind me of the grave,
the eyes I now close picture to me their final closing.
Keep me always ready, waiting for admittance to thy presence.
Weaken my attachment to earthly things.
May I hold life loosely in my hand,
knowing that I receive it on condition of its surrender;
As pain and suffering betoken transitory health,
may I not shrink from a death that introduces me to the freshness
of eternal youth.
I retire this night in full assurance of one day awaking with thee.
All glory for this precious hope."

Thanks to my friend Carol for sending me The Valley of Vision.

Our Sunday school class this morning is studying the book of Nahum. In preparation, I read this verse: "The Lord is good; a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him, but with an overwhelming flood . . . he will pursue his foes into darkness" (Nahum 1:7,8). Teacher Tom wants us to consider today that though the Lord is "slow to anger, abounding in mercy," his patience cannot last forever. Sobering.

Our bluebirds are now tending naked little hatchlings. How wonderful to have life happening in our small yard!

I printed the information about the two I-V drugs I'll be starting on tomorrow, and I read it in bed last evening. Not good bedtime reading. This stuff could be rough. But God will still be "good, a refuge in times of trouble." By his grace and your prayers, he has given me all these many months of vibrant wellbeing. I was able to work four hours in the garden yesterday--mostly trimming overgrown shrubs. (I work slowly; it shouldn't have taken so long.)

Have a blessed day.
Carol

1 Comments:

At Sun Jun 17, 10:52:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Hannatu said...

This is the first I heard of Ruth Graham's homegoing. I think she had a quiet, but huge influence on a log of women. She will be missed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home