Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

The Bridge

Just after last week's tragic collapse of the bridge in Minneapolis, Pastor John Piper wrote some comforting thoughts in his regular pastoral letter. I found this interesting:

“The word ‘bridge’ does not occur in the Bible. There may be two reasons. One is that God doesn’t build bridges, he divides seas [referring here to miracles at the beginning and at the end of the Israelites’ journey to the Promised Land]. The other is that usually his people must pass through the deadly currents of suffering and death, not simply ride over them. ‘When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you’ (Isaiah 43:2). The currents may drown us. But he will be with us in life and death.”

Only once have I experienced an actual river current so boisterous that I was sure it would kill me. That was when our raft overturned in Lava Falls on the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon (more than 30 years ago). I can still remember the physical terror of it. It’s profoundly comforting to know that the metaphysical currents of life’s tough moments cannot overwhelm us, because of that lovely promise: “I will be with you.” That’s better than a life jacket! Better than a helicopter rescue. Better than a bridge. Better, even, than sitting scared on the river bank and never braving the water. “I will be with you.” Thanks, Lord.

This morning I’ll have another blood test. Tomorrow we’ll get an update on the tumor marker. God could cause the number to plummet, or allow it to rise. In any case, his promise stands: “I will be with you.”

Our friend received the gift of a kidney yesterday, and after a five-hour surgery the doctor announced that the kidney was already working. We are rejoicing!

Love,
Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home