Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Monday, June 09, 2008

Thanks for caring

Recently I read a timely quote by Henri Nouwen: “The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing, and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares.”

We are thankful for all of you caring friends. These truly are difficult times, but I trust times of growth for each one of us. As you would guess, Carol is an ideal patient. With the discomfort, and the procedures that in times past I would have said I could not do, she continues to smile and be thankful for every encouragement and blessing coming her way. Never asking why, never bitter, always ready to help as I clumsily function in my new role of caregiver. Occasionally she is able to take a short telephone call, or enjoy a short visit with friends who stop in, but she continues to be extremely tired and sleeps quite a bit.

After two cancelled flights on Saturday, daughter Sue was again on a flight to Michigan yesterday morning that was ultimately diverted to Fort Wayne due to weather, with no promise of reaching her destination until today. Her husband Jeff, drove to Indiana to pick her up so she could finally get home. Yesterday daughter Karin arrived and is being a BIG help caring for Carol, the house, and also for me.

This morning our hospice nurse is coming for observation and consultation. And in the afternoon we are to take Carol (if she is able) to meet with her Oncologist. It will be a busy and tiring day for her. Please pray for wisdom for both the nurse and the doctor regarding her continuing major digestive issues, and for guidance as we get her stabilized. Also, I am finding it difficult to get adequate sleep for myself. I am certain that I will adjust, but it is a bit difficult at present. Carol is still wishing (and planning) on a trip to Michigan for our grandson Justin’s wedding on the 21st. That is less than two weeks away! We do need a special measure of wisdom and guidance!

Thanks for your many many many caring acts of love!!!

Our love to you all,

Chuck…and Carol too

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home