Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Sunday, December 19, 2010

A time of joy

The Christmas season is always a busy time but it seems to me that this year is the busiest. Can that be any indication of age and my tendency to be slowing a bit? As I picked up a few groceries yesterday, I was amazed at the number of people in the store and traffic on the streets.

It is the season of lights, decorations, parties and special programs. I was especially blessed by a dramatic presentation of the Messiah that I attended with friends. The music was outstanding but along with the music there were snippets from the life of George Friderich Handel being acted out on the platform, taking the audience back to the 1700’s in London, Handel’s adopted city. It opened my eyes to an unknown side of Handel that gave an even greater understanding of his great work, the Messiah. A quote from an English composer about him that stuck with me was; “he died as he lived – a good Christian with a true sense of his duty to God and man, and in perfect charity with all the world.” I thought that was a good summation of Handel’s life and a challenge for me.

Last Sunday I was deeply moved by a baptism service where the only message was the testimonies of the large group being baptized. I doubt that there was a dry eye in the audience as we learned about the radical transformation of lives. This young church has made a radical difference in the lives of a huge number of men and women that have avoided traditional churches or had unpleasant experiences there. The honesty and openness expressed and their vision for the future was thrilling to experience!

As I begin this Christmas week, I want to keep my focus on not only that babe in the manger, but the Jesus that walked upon this very earth teaching, healing, encouraging and ministering to the multitudes for a relatively short 33 years. Taking our sins upon himself to a cross and a grave that could not hold him. The Jesus that arose from that grave, again walking on this earth, then ascending into Heaven awaiting everyone that by faith believes in Him as they pass through that curtain of death to enter eternity. WOW…talk about exciting…The Messiah can only be a glimpse of what awaits every believer!

May you have a blessed Christmas with family and friends!

With love,

Chuck

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home