Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Waiting and Watching

In Sunday School tomorrow we'll study Habakkuk 2:1-4: "Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, wait patiently, for it will surely take place. It will not be delayed. Look at the proud! They trust in themselves, and their lives are crooked, but the righteous will live by their faith." Our teacher, in his weekly letter, wrote: "Why does God take so long? And while He is taking His time, why does He expect us not only to wait for Him, but also to keep watch? What's the value of watching when God isn't ready yet to do whatever it is He has us watching for? Unless we learn to wait for God, and to watch while waiting, we probbly don't know Him as well as we want to. I'm beginning to catch hints of God's pleasure in our waiting and watching." That's a lesson I don't want to miss! (You'll catch me now and then chafing at all the months of kemo and the waiting to see what God has planned.)

Last evening our dear friend Sue came for dinner. She returned this week from missionary service in West Africa. We go "way back," and although we talked a mile a minute, we didn't get caught up. What a delight to see her!

Pig in a Taxi and Other African Adventures is the title of a humorous memoir by Suzanne Crocker. I received it in yesterday's mail from my college roommate (from 48 years ago). Crocker and her family were missionaries in Togo, and her book reflects a woman who is amusing and transparent, human and likeable. In the interest of my campaign for laughter contagion, I'll pass along a story that had me laughing out loud last night:

"I was tired of standing in the shower and scooping water one meager cupful at a time to pour over myself and scrub. I wanted to submerge at least part of my hot, tired and dirty body into some water and soak. It didn't seem like much to wish for. My sweet husband went to the market and bought a large basin that women use for hauling water, and then he filled it with cool water. I was ecstatic. I submerged as much of myself as I possibly could and settled in for a nice long soak. It was simply delightful--until I tried to get out.

"That was when my problem began. I had not considered the force of suction. I was completely stuck to the bottom of the basin, and no amount of pulling and prying would get me out. I finally had to stand up with the basin still stuck to me and water running all over the floor before John could pry it loose. Needless to say, after cleaning up all that mess, my bucket shower looked a little more inviting." Can you picture it?

Still laughing,
Carol

1 Comments:

At Sat Jul 29, 09:26:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Amanda Hunt said...

That is so funny, having lived in West Africa I know the exact type of bowls she's talking about!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home