Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Hope for the future

In January President Bush signed the Gynecologic Cancer Education and Awareness Act, commonly known as Johanna's Law. Johanna died of ovarian cancer, and her sister Sheryl advocated tirelessly for this law, which will provide federal funding for a massive program of education about this largely ignored and hard-to-detect killer disease. Simple screening methods still don't exist, so public education is the best that can be done for now. Several emails listing the vague symptoms of ovarian cancer are making the rounds. If you're a woman, or if you care about a woman, please pay attention. If you haven't seen one, please click on Comments below, and tell me. I'll then post the list as a comment, which you can access at your leisure. (I may not get to it until late next week.)

More good news. Last fall the National Institutes of Health announced that ovarian cancer is one of three (the others are lung and brain) that will be studied as part of the Cancer Genome Atlas. If the three-year project is successful, it could lead to new preventive measures or diagnostic tools and individualized treatment plans.

In the same magazine where I read the above, I also read an interview with a cancer survivor who is the wife of a well-known political figure. Her view of God makes me so sad. She said, "I have come to accept a God who does not intervene in accident, disease, or violence." She went on to affirm that her faith is in the human giving of care and support, which is mutually healing and strengthening--both to the one who gives it and to the one who receives it. I feel sorry for her. I agree that care and support are wonderfully healing and strengthening, but they're no substitute for God. I admit that He allows a terrible amount of suffering and death. But He always stands ready to intervene--if not to heal, then to give a full measure of His presence, peace and comfort.

Yesterday's kemo went well, and the doctor agreed to reduce the pre-infusion steroid (given to prevent adverse reactions) by 60%. We hope this will stop my rapid weight gain. This morning I have the usual day-after-kemo red face, but I feel well and plan to work.

You may have heard that Philip Yancey, beloved Christian author, was in a horrific auto crash Monday, with a likely broken spine and possible punctured aorta. We learned yesterday that he is already back at his home, wearing a "collar" for his neck, and able to type a two-page first-person report of his story. It would be worth looking for that report on the internet.

I'm leading prayers tomorrow morning at the office, following a Lenten theme. We'll sing "How Deep the Father's Love for Us," by Stuart Townend. It ends, "But this I know with all my heart, His wounds have paid my ransom." That's my hope for today and for the future.

Love,
Carol

2 Comments:

At Thu Mar 01, 09:40:00 AM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi carol...I have not seen the information concerning ovarian cncer...would love to read it!
anne dickey

 
At Thu Mar 01, 10:56:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Carol Wilson said...

Ovarian Cancer Whispers - so listen... Watch for Pelvic or abdominal pain or discomfort; vague but persistent gastrointestinal upsets such as gas, nausea, and indigestion; frequency and/or urgency of urination in the absence of an infection; unexplained weight gain or weight loss; pelvic and/or abdominal swelling, bloating and/or feeling of fullness; ongoing unusual fatigue; or unexplained changes in bowel habits.

If symptoms persist for more than 2 weeks, ask your doctor for a combination pelvic/rectal exam, CA-125 blood test, and transvaginal ultrasound. A Pap Test WILL NOT detect ovarian cancer.

To complicate things, I must confess that I personally had none of the symptoms listed here, except for tighter skirts and slacks. Since the abdomen is where weight collects as we grow older, I never dreamed that it could be anything so serious as ovarian cancer. After it reached stage 4 by the cancer-filled fluids pushing through my diaphragm into my lung area, the pressure caused shortness of breath and lots of coughing. Even then, it took nearly a year before the cancer was discovered. Believe me, this is a sneaky terrorist!
Carol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home