Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Friday, January 11, 2008

Day of human trafficking and slavery awareness

We stayed out way too late last evening at the Clapham Group (anti-slavery) meeting, and we learned a lot. The director of Triad Ladder of Hope, a rescue organization in a nearby city, gave alarming facts about the rapid growth of human trafficking and slavery in the U.S., along with some wisdom on the most likely ways victims can be identified and rescued. More important, she told heart-rending stories about a few women she has personally worked with. It's a complex issue. Most of us in this group are involved in some way in communication; maybe God has brought us together to raise awareness. I do need to keep learning, but I also think it's time to begin to DO something, even if it's only making some phone calls. Sadly, it's not only chocolate (which I already boycott) that's likely produced with child slave labor; many of the inexpensive goods we enjoy have links to this infamous trade. God, have mercy!

So I'm tired for a good reason this morning. We must arrange for a restful weekend. For several days I've been troubled by swollen ankles, especially the left one. I don't know if it's a complication of cancer or something else. It's funny how the presence of cancer adds this confusion to life.

I was reading a review of a book titled Practicing the Presence of People by Mike Mason. Here are a few quotes for today: "We will never see other people if the air is dense with our own words." "The first duty of love is to listen." "The hardest job any of us have is to still the flapping tongue in our brains." "Listening to people teaches us to listen to God. Do you find God to be silent? It may be because He is listening to you chatter." Okay, I'll shut up.

Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home