Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Friday, April 04, 2008

The fast

Yesterday my cousin mentioned this fast I've been on. I had to confess that when I had to stop eating, I was so sick that I wasn't even thinking spiritual thoughts like going on a fast! I'm sure there are saints out there who turn their times of suffering and struggle into high and holy moments, but I have days when I simply want to survive. All the time, though, I rest at a deep level in the enduring love of Jesus who I know is carrying me through each test, each day.

A dear friend sent a note in which she quoted a line from a poem: "God ruthlessly perfects whom He royally elects." I know that's His purpose throughout our lives--to use the issues of our lives to purify our motives and reactions and make us more like Jesus. I welcome the process. (At the same time, I don't think I can live long enough to really become "perfect." That will happen when I see Him in heaven.) Chuck is reading an Erwin Lutzer book titled Your Eternal Reward. The premise is that we have only this brief lifetime in which to affect our situation for eternity. Throughout the day yesterday, he was reading snatches to me. Good stuff.

Last evening I posted the outcome of our full day in doctor's offices. We're relieved that there's no medical problem, so for today I'm trying to sip fluids and get back to "normal." I need to do some research on how other cancer patients have coped with the effects of Cisplatin. There must be some scientific types out there who have figured out the interactions and ways of minimizing the problems.

Blessings,
Carol

2 Comments:

At Sun Apr 06, 09:37:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger David said...

You had a lab full of scientists praying for you here in California last week. You’re absolutely right on Cisplatin – it is powerful, which is good in that it kills the cancer, but the flip side is that it is difficult for the body to endure. One ameliorating treatment to consider is medical marijuana [if it is legal where you live], as it has been shown to help with appetite, nausea, and related problems stemming from chemotherapy. Here is an NIH paper on the topic: http://cancernet.nci.nih.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Support/marijuana. While medical marijuana may have benefits not found elsewhere, please also see the synthetic drugs listed: “National Cancer Institute scientists feel that other antiemetic drugs or combinations of antiemetic drugs have been shown to be more effective than synthetic THC as ‘first-line therapy’ for nausea and vomiting caused by anticancer drugs. Examples include drugs called serotonin antagonists, including ondansetron (Zofran®) and granisetron (Kytril®), used alone or combined with dexamethasone (a steroid hormone); metoclopramide (Reglan®) combined with diphenhydramine and dexamethasone; high doses of methylprednisolone (a steroid hormone) combined with droperidol (Inapsine®); and prochlorperazine (Compazine®).” If one does not work, try the next, as advised by the NIH: “Doctors must tailor antiemetic therapy to meet each individual's needs.” Best wishes and keep praying and working hard.

 
At Wed Apr 09, 12:34:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Marcia said...

Hi Carol,
I am a graduate student at Western Seminary in Portland, OR and your blog came up when I did a search for a song called 'Work of Art' by Shannon W. God's Spirit led me to several of your postings that I would like to make reference to, with your permission, for a message I am to give this coming Saturday to a small group of women. The passage of scripture I am speaking on is Phil 3:12-14, and the title of my message is going to be "Being Perfect in Christ'.

I am still in the early stages of preparing my talk. The 3 points are going to be on: 1). God's perfect love (how it removes our fear of condemnation/guilt/shame - over PAST failures/sins), 2). God's power made perfect in our weaknesses (God's spirit makes us competent and thereby confident in our PRESENT endeavors/calling), and 3). God's perfect peace will keep us as we set our minds/'imagination' on him (FUTURE concerns, decisions, outcomes, etc.). The 3 felt needs I am addressing with women are: guilt, insecurity, and worry. I am to come up w/ illustrations and applications for each of my 3 points. I would like to quote your blog from Feb. 26 or 27, 2007, entitled, "Imagination". Would you grant me permission to do so? I would value this so very much and believe it would minister to the women I am speaking to as well.

Also, you also made a reference in a posting called 'The fast' to a poem about how God is perfecting us through tribulations. I can't quote the line from memory, but it was good and would be applicable to my message as well. If you are able, would you please consider sending me the name of the author of that poem, and if available, the title (and full verse?)? Thank you very much.

I have enjoyed perusing your wonderful, Spirit-filled and truth-infused writings. God is not only the author of our salvation, but also able to write his heart and mind through us (as Shannon's song declares) to encourage other travelers on this journey of faith, as he did through the writers of both the OT and NT - -

"For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have HOPE" - Romans 15:4.

You have encouraged me through your writings and I'm sure many others - now and in the future - that you may never know until you are on the other side of eternity. Praise God for the good work he is completing in you! Thank you for your ministry to us!

Praising him for your life and living legacy of faith! I am sure your name will be added to Hebrews chapter 11, as Hebrews 11:41 - -

"May the God of HOPE fill you with all JOY and PEACE as you trust in him - - so that you may overflow with HOPE by the POWER of the Holy Spirit." Rom 15:13

God bless you, Carol - -

Marcia Moores

 

Post a Comment

<< Home