Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Emotions

There are moments when I wish that I could better hide my emotions, but then the Lord draws my attention to someone or something that reminds me that emotions are a blessing from God, usable by Him to accomplish His purpose in our lives and possibly even in the lives of others.

Yesterday a dear friend stopped by my office. We talked about my Carol and about her husband, Jim, who is fighting cancer. Frequently my tears would start to flow, but I believe that through those tears we were able to better communicate and minister to each other. Do pray for Jim and the family. These are difficult days for them with all of the decisions they need to make coupled with the responsibility they now have for his sister who has been recently moved here under Hospice with stage four ovarian cancer. So much for one family to deal with…and I think that I am having a difficult time?

Blessings come in openness and honesty. Not in platitudes, clichés and false fronts. Eugene Peterson tells of an incident in his life following the funeral of his mother when emotions overtook him. An individual came up to him; “He put his arm around my shoulder and spoke some preacherish chiches in a preacherish tone. Then mercifully, he left.” Eugene said to his daughter; “I hope I’ve never done that to anybody.” It reminded me of the book of Job that I am currently reading. Thank you Lord for the encouraging friends that you have given me. May I learn to be an encourager to others without cliches or platitudes, honest and open about my own thoughts and feelings.

In my mail yesterday was the new Serving In Mission Together publication from SIM which Carol has edited for several years. It is beautiful! Working months in advance, this is the final issue that she completed. As I flipped through the pages, I could just about hear her voice as we would discuss items to be included in upcoming issues. The topic of this issue, Cultivating Vibrant Churches, is something that was close to her heart. You can guess the emotions that this generated for me.

Thanks so much for your honesty and openness in notes, calls and visits. It is a tremendous help to me both in the healing process and in my ability to encourage others.

Love to you all,

Chuck

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home