Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Times of adversity

As I observe the great challenges here in the United States and all around the world, it is not difficult to recognise that we are in a time of adversity. As I was thinking about that recently, I was reminded of a statement that Thomas A. Lambie, MD made in his book A Doctor Without A Country as he faced major problems working in Africa many years ago, so I had to look up the quote. Sharing experiences with his readers, he wrote:

"In times of adversity the heart looks upward in a peculiar way, and we sought guidance from God. Was this to be the end of the enterprise? So many times God gives us a word of cheer or encouragement, either in prayer or by bringing to our mind a special verse from the Bible that applies to the trying circumstance through which we are passing. We do not believe in blindly opening the Bible, shutting one's eyes and putting one's fingers on a verse at random in a sort of "magical" getting of guidance. Nor do we believe in searching through hundreds of irrelevant verses before we strike one that we think will suit the case. Rather do we believe in daily systematic reading of the Bible, asking God to enable us to get from it the light we need for each day, and grace to perform anything the Holy Spirit will reveal to us from that daily reading...It is wonderful how God does guide if we are willing to accept the guidance given."

That challenged me not to fret and complain, but to be seeking guidance from God for this country, the world and my daily response to all that is going on around me. We continue to have people serving in areas of great danger, thankful for every safe and fruitful day. Often I wonder what great tragedy I may have avoided as I look to God for direction, and go merrily on my way.

With that in mind, I will be travelling to Michigan this weekend to attend the shower for grandson Jeremy and Julianna who will be married in May. I am always thankful for safe travel, but I certainly do not take that for granted. Thanks for your prayers as I drive the 12 hours each way. I thank God for the health and strength that He continues to give me to continue being active and the ability to get together with the family fairly often. They are a huge blessing!

Love to each of you,

Chuck

1 Comments:

At Sat Mar 20, 08:10:00 AM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i genuinely love all your posting type, very charming.
don't quit as well as keep posting for the simple reason that it simply nicely to follow it.
excited to look at alot more of your own web content, thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home