Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Monday, July 30, 2012

Finishing Well


This past weekend our appointees completed training and headed home continuing preparation for their respective assignments.  It was a tremendous blessing to get better acquainted with them to be more specific in our praying.  I always especially appreciate their testimonies as they relate how the Lord has worked and directed in their lives.

At the recommendation of Carol’s brother, I ordered a book Finishing Well to the Glory of God which arrived on Saturday.  I have to confess that I had a difficult time putting it down that evening.  The author who has practiced Internal Medicine for over 30 years, specializing in geriatrics, has some great insights that I am finding most helpful.  He writes that as patients come to him for a physical exam prior to retirement, he shares two rules for them:

1.        Wake up every morning knowing what you are going to do that day.
2.       Go to bed every night knowing that you helped someone.

He strongly recommends as they are coming down the home-stretch of life that they not focus upon their problems but rather the opportunities before them:

1.        Recognize your God-given value.
2.       Find purpose for each day.
3.       Cultivate and maintain deep friendships.
4.       Laugh a lot.
5.       Invest in your health.
6.       Avoid the things that rob quality from the older years.

As the author expanded upon those topics, I was pleased to find that I was doing well in some areas but in others I really needed to refocus.  It is not all that easy for an old dog to learn, but I was challenged and am working on some adjustments in my life to better assure my finishing well to HIS glory.

Later this week I plan to head for Alabama to attend Justin’s graduation from his month-long preparation for serving as a Dentist with the Air Force.   I will be meeting Sue, Laura and Ella at the airport, taking them with me for the event, and then heading for Shaw Air Force Base to help them settle in at their new location.  I am really looking forward to having them living closer by me!

Do pray both for their flights and our road travel.  The schedule will not be difficult if there are no delays causing them to miss a flight which we are well aware can happen.

Thanks so much for your prayers and for keeping in touch.  You are appreciated!

Love, Chuck

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home