Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Thursday, September 13, 2012

God's love and mercy


It was a special treat to have Lisa with me this past week but I have to admit that the house seems pretty quiet now with everyone gone.  It was great to have friends visit while she was here and then Justin, Laura and Ella drove up to celebrate Lisa’s birthday Sunday.  Our trip to Florida went well and she enjoyed seeing our Sebring Center and visiting with many of the people there.  We thoroughly enjoyed the invitations for meals and hearing about many experiences that folks have had while serving in various parts of the world.  On our return home we made a stop at Jekyll Island and managed to get soaked by sudden showers on two different occasions as we walked the beaches.  A third time we came close to a soaking but made it back to the car before the storm hit.  Fortunately it was warm and we had light weight washable clothing on which dried rapidly.

As I looked out upon the ocean, a ship was bobbing on the waves and it made me think of Jonah and the “rough ride” that he encountered as he sailed toward Tarshish in disobedience to the Lord who had directed him to go to Nineveh.  Having read a bit about the history of Nineveh, I don’t doubt his reluctance to head for the city where it was reported one Assyrian king said:  “Three thousand captives I burned with fire…Their corpses I formed into pillars…Their governor I flayed; his skin I spread upon the wall of the city…From some I cut off their hands and their fingers and their noses…Of many I put out their eyes…I formed a pillar of heads against the city gate, and seven hundred men I impaled on stakes.”  WOW that sure would discourage me from going also.

When Jonah finally obeyed God and delivered His message to Nineveh; “The people of Nineveh believed God’s message and from the greatest to the least, they declared a fast and put on burlap to show their sorrow.”  (Jonah 3:5)  “When God saw what they had done and how they had put a stop to their evil ways, he changed his mind and did not carry out the destruction he had threatened.”  (Jonah 3:10)  What an example of God’s love and mercy!

As I reflect upon this account, I am reminded of the need for repentance for out own nation but even more basic, the need for each believer to be both in tune with God’s leading and responsive to that leading without doubts or delay.  That is a good message for me today!

Love to you all,
Chuck

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home